• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Taking offers on Apple 1, MITS Altair 8800, and early Intel Development System

In the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, I was part of a small group trying to start a computer museum in Minnesota. It never worked out, but I did collect lots of stuff. I had hopes of doing something with my collection of 100+ micros when I retire, but retirement age has arrived and my interests have changed.

I have 3 microcomputers that I feel have lots of historical significance and pricing them is proving to be difficult, so I am going to make them available and accept bids on them over the next couple of months. A couple museums have already contacted me about acquiring the Intel development system, but tax breaks don’t do much for retired people!

Email me (craig@solomonson.net) directly for more information and to get links to additional photos. I am not a hardware person and have no idea if they are in working order. The Altair does light up and the Apple 1 was tested and running in 1993 when I first got it.

1. 1972 Intel SIM 8-01 development system – this micro may well be one of the very first 8-bit computers assembled. Probably assembled in the fall of 1972 and based on the June 1972 Intel plans. Housed in a professionally crafted red plexiglass case and very showy! The 8008 chip is of the earliest style manufactured and only a few of this type are even known to exist. The system includes an MP3-03 EPROM burner and it hooked up to a Teletype. Here are links to a couple photos:
2. 1975 MITS Altair 8800 Computer
– this micro is the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Altair ever built and was factory assembled. Serial numbers started with 220001 and ended with an A (factory assembled) or a K (kit form) and mine is 220005A. It is in very nice original condition and lights up. It includes the following four cards:
8800 CPU BD REV 0
8800 1K STATIC MEM BOARD
MITS 1K STAT MEM BD REV
MITS 88-S10A REV 0

Here is a link to a photo:

3. Apple 1 computer
– I originally bought this computer in 1993 from a collector in Indiana. He had acquired 4 Apple 1’s from various sources and restored them all to their original 8K state and tested them. He mounted them on a grey board and framed them for display. I later traded this computer for the now famous #82 Apple 1 in the original box with the letter from steve jobs. I sold #82 to a collector in California for $25,000 in 1996. He sold it for $50,000 on eBay and then it sold on Christie’s Auction for $213,600. Recently, I reacquired this computer and will now accept bids on it. Here is a link to a photo:
Here is a link to Mike Willegal's Apple 1 Registry that shows this computer and the other 36 known Apple 1 computers:

Back