• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Taking photographs of old ICs

Bitly

Experienced Member
Any microscope/photography experts out there?

I have a Luxo microscope with a video port (trinocular), but I'm having difficulty figuring out what camera(s) can be used, and hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject (no pun intended). Part numbers are hard to find since I bought it 10 years ago and my invoice only shows distributor part numbers. Naturally, the distributor doesn't carry them anymore. I'm aware of eyepiece cameras, but I'm resisting right now.

I have:
System 373 Trinocular Microscope
23769,Video Adapter with 0.5X lens
23767,Video Adapter with 1.0X len
23754,2.0 Amplifying Lens 23mm (optional objective lens)
23758,Eyepiece/ 10X Pair 23mm

My questions:
Does anyone know of a DSLR adapter for Luxo microscopes? Google doesn't show anything, but there is a lot of chaff.

Is the adapter C-mount or CS-mount? Is there any way to measure it without a camera attached. The conservative solution is to buy a CS-mount camera and use an adapter to C-mount if required, but C-mount cameras are much more common.

What image sensor size is appropriate? The (low quality/expensive) cameras Luxo sells have 1/3" and 1/2" sensors, but the options haven't changed in 10 years. Is there any way to measure the maximum sensor size?

Thoughts on camera interface. Camera-link requires a special frame grabber ($$$), GigE requires proprietary software, and USB is slow.

CW

The visual6502.org guys would be the correct ones to ask, as they have successfully done the microphotographs and the stitching required. http://www.visual6502.org

Thanks! It took some digging, but I found the information I needed on The reverse engineering process

In summary, an inspection microscope isn't sufficient (20x objective is recommended), so now I'm looking for a metallurgical microscope.

Back