• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tallgrass Hardfile system for the 5150

generic486

Experienced Member
So I got a Tallgrass hardfile subsystem for the IBM 5150. Right now it is performing a format. I will give an update on it's status when it finishes. I have a question. I have the original manual and software for the Tallgrass hardfile system (in an IBM PC style binder). I am willing to image and scan the disks and documents if someone will put them on a website for everyone to access. So would anyone be willing put these documents on their website. I have seen modem7's website and have noticed that some of the manuals are from memebers here. Modem7, I was wondering if you like these documents and disks for your website?

Okay, i've made the images of both DOS 3.1 and the Tallgrass Hard file software. DOS 3.1 or 2.x is required. Any other version will cause the system to hang. I will start work on scanning the Tallgrass manual.

You can get 2GB of free space from Dropbox and you'd be suprised what you can host there. I like it way better than Google Drive.

Certainly Maverick1978. You can put it on your website. Can I email it to you? I'll still PM modem7 and as him he wants it on his IBM PC website.

Well I knew there would be a problem. Yesterday I was formatting the hard drive and once it had finished, I found out the the floppy drive was not working. I could not park the hard drive. So I had to power the hard drive down and move it about 30 cm off the top of my 5150. I found out today why the drive was not working after a few times of power it on and off without moving the unit. My main A: floppy drive is bad so I swapped the floppy for the B: and now it boots. However, I tried to perform a read test and all the sectors were bad. I then proceeded to format the drive again but a write error appeared. I hope I have not damaged the hard drive. Can anyone suggest anything?

So I got a Tallgrass hardfile subsystem for the IBM 5150. Right now it is performing a format. I will give an update on it's status when it finishes. I have a question. I have the original manual and software for the Tallgrass hardfile system (in an IBM PC style binder). I am willing to image and scan the disks and documents if someone will put them on a website for everyone to access. So would anyone be willing put these documents on their website. I have seen modem7's website and have noticed that some of the manuals are from memebers here. Modem7, I was wondering if you like these documents and disks for your website?

I had heard of this before but not seen it. Am I correct in assuming it is a tape -> disk simulator (ala Direct Tape Access and/or TapeDisk) but also with a HW component (the actual tape drive)?

It is bascially a 3M/Scotch tape drive with a Miniscribe 12MB 2012 harddrive in the same box. There is a special controller card that goes in the 5150 and has a 37 pin D shell connector that goes to the Hardfile. I parked the drive and took the whole thing apart and cleaned it. The hard drive is a regular MFM (data and control cables) one that goes to a special circut board on top of the drive.

I don't suppose there is any chance generic486 is still an active member... I've also acquired one of these units (without driver or manual, naturally) and am interested in using it with PC-DOS 1.1 and CP/M-86 1.00, which requires software from the other two driver disks that should have been in the set. Hoping somebody might image those disks and send them to Modem7 as well.

I just happened to stumble upon one myself. But just the unit itself. I haven't even been lucky enough to get a picture of the controller bundled with this unit (if you have a picture it would be appreciated). My unit is a tg-3020. I haven't popped the unit open but the drive actually sounds healthy. I believe there is a 5.25 floppy for the unit in a machine I picked up with the tape drive (without any cards in it unfortunately) but if it has the software you need I will find a way to post it. I have enough obscure hardware I may add it in to my YT channel soon. These Tallgrass units seem a little rare.

Back