• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 HX PP2

cchaven

Experienced Member
There seems to be a bit of interest on here concerning the Tandy 1000 HX. The HX was actually the first computer I purchased new, from a Navy Exchange when they came out. I still have two of them, including this PP2 that I was told was a pre-production prototype. It's uppercase over the drives and expansion card cage is incomplete, and instead of the usual foil sticker on the back, it has a piece of masking tape with "PP2 #0024" written on it. A similar piece of masking tape is on the rear corner of the main board and the main board itself is marked as Rev PP2. There are other differences as well on the board. I purchased it over 10 years ago from a private seller and it worked at the time.

Attached is the best image of the main board that i could get. I thought some might find it interesting.

Jeff

Attachments

• tandy1000hx_pp2.jpg
    tandy1000hx_pp2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 2
Here are a few more pictures of the main board.

1) shows a bit of manual rework with wire jumpers up near the keyboard connector
2) shows the masking tape and silkscreened "Rev PP2", though the masking tape was hard to get as it has faded
3) shows the AMD 8088 and the 32 pin ROM socket with the 28 pin ROM installed. A jumper next to the ROM socket is present.

The case has no RF shielding and looks to have been cleanly cut starting just above the keyboard overlay slots. The only part of the upper housing present other than around the keyboard is covering the PSU.

Jeff

Attachments

• tandy1000hx_pp2_2.jpg
    tandy1000hx_pp2_2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2
  • tandy1000hx_pp2_3.jpg
    tandy1000hx_pp2_3.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2
  • tandy1000hx_pp2_4.jpg
    tandy1000hx_pp2_4.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2
Back