• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 RL/HD built-in parallel port bidirectional mode can be enabled...????

EddieDX4

Veteran Member
Not sure if anyone has read this and/or tried to enable this for use with Zip drives, etc. (by use of PalmZIP), but I noticed the following excerpt from page 69 (Tandy 1000 RL/HD.3) of the Tandy Technical Notes and Jumpers manual found at ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tandy1000/documents/notejump.zip

It states that:

"The following option does not have staking pins, but is silk-screened on the board. This is used for compatability with some non-Tandy printers:

E2-E3** Connects SLCTIN* to the printer
E3-E4* Disconnects SLCTIN* from the printer port (permanently wired on the board)

**NOTE: Installing staking pins and a jumper from E2-E3 will enable the parallel port to be bidirectional for use with external devices designed to connect to a parallel port. Refer to Technical Bulletin 1000:59 for more information."

This sounds promising!!! Imagine the possibilities not having to waste the single ISA slot on a replacement parallel port!

I couldn't get things to work even with an ISA card for parallel replacement.. but yeah I had heard of this modification - good luck. :D

I couldn't get things to work even with an ISA card for parallel replacement.. but yeah I had heard of this modification - good luck. :D

I've had pretty good luck with an EPP parallel card and PalmZIP. You have to disable the built in adapter and make the replacement card LPT1. SETUPRL /A will give you the options needed to do this.

I think I'm going to do the above modification using a tracing pen. The only thing that's not clear is whether the wired E3-E4 connection needs to be severed, in addition to connecting E2-E3. I assume so, but the manual isn't too clear.

sorry for reactivating this, how did this turned out, did you get the zip drive working?

sorry just found that very helpful info:
ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tandy1000/documents/zipnotes.txt

Last edited:
I have an 8bit card somewhere round here, that I used in my 1000RL. Let me try to dig it out... Believe it was made by Lava Computers?

Back