• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 TL/2 and XT-IDE - Error 01h when attempting to boot from WDAC2850 drive

EddieDX4

Veteran Member
I am attempting to install an 813mb WD drive in my TL/2, by use of an XT-IDE. The controller detects the drive fine (lists it in the bootm options), but whenever it attempts to boot it fails with an Error 01h (the controller reports this error).

I have already configured my TL/2 to boot from DISK and MSDOS (setuptl2.com from the original MS-DOS/GW-BASIC boot disk).

If I boot from floppy (MS-DOS 5.0) and try to go into FDISK, it errors out as well (can't remember the exact message, but it was a generic one liner "Error reading drive" or something along those lines)...

This is a drive I was using on a 386 machine, and it has DOS 6.0 in it. It works fine on that machine.

What am I doing wrong? The XT-IDE has all default settings (and, as far as I can tell, the default memory addresses do not conflict with the TL/2's built in controller, etc...)

I've tried moving the HD IRQ jumper on the TL/2 from IRQ5 to IRQ2, just in case, but I get the same result.

I searched the XT-IDE tech support thread but the darn thing is too many pages and I eventually became exhausted (we need a dedicated forum for XT-IDE support...a single thread is ridiculous).

Anyone else using an XT-IDE on a TL series 1000?

EddieDX4

Veteran Member
Additional information:

I tried a different known working drive, a WDAC21000 (1.0 GB) and received the same failure. Also, the LED on the XT-IDE card remains lit after boot (it is off, but even if I select boot from floppy it comes on when DOS begins to load, and remains on).

The exact error by FDISK reads "Error reading fixed disk."

Last edited:

EddieDX4

Veteran Member
Even more info:

I updated from BIOS v1.1.0 to v1.1.4 (latest), and although this has not helped (same behavior), the error code is now FFh instead of 01h.

I tried multiple configurations, even configuring IRQ2 on the XT-IDE (and BIOS config)... I also switched to an "80 pin" IDE cable, snipping the 11th pin on the XT-IDE connector. Nothing, same deal.

Is this thing compatiable with the TL/2 at all?

EddieDX4

Veteran Member
Success! I've been fiddling with this thing for hours... What seems to have fixed it is disabling Late initialization... My guess is that the built-in HD controller on the TL/2 was loading before XT-IDE and causing the conflict.

EddieDX4

Veteran Member
Success! I've been fiddling with this thing for hours... What seems to have fixed it is disabling Late initialization... My guess is that the built-in HD controller on the TL/2 was loading before XT-IDE and causing the conflict.

Okay, that and also using an IRQ... The machine seems to freeze on occasion, though... I am not convinced XT-IDE and TL/2's play nice together. :(

EddieDX4

Veteran Member
Whew, okay... So, TL/2 requirements:

Late initalization: NO
IRQ: NO (this sort of worked and didn't work, but now it's working without...)
User defined CHS: Yes (and specify exact info... I did 2100/16/63 on WD 21000 drive and that worked, also 1654/16/63 on WD 2850 and that worked, too)

If you don't specify CHS info manually, drive is detected but it stops working the moment that you try to access it.

leeb

Veteran Member
I cannot say for your application, but in working with the GIDE for my model 4p I found that:
the 'interrogated' CHS specs on some drives are NOT necessarily the same as the 'translated/operating' CHS values...

The conner cp2024 is a perfect example:
20mb 2.5"
interrogated CHS = 652/2/34 ('mechanical' values)
'working' CHS = 615/4/17
I found this to be true EVEN on the modern system... IF IT IS NOT reported as 615/4/17 it WILL NOT WORK...
(I THINK if I had the capability of a TRUE low-level format it could be changed but I dont 'feel' like going that far...)

I suspect this is true for MANY drives and that may be why yours did not work as expected...

pearce_jj

Veteran Member
The BIOS has moved on a great deal in the four years since this thread was posted - which Tandy 1000 are you enquiring about?

dr.zeissler

Experienced Member
Do I need to change something on the motherboard ?
Do I need to deactivate the onboard XT-IDE Controller of the Tandy ?
I already own an 8Bit IDE Controller (XT-IDE) but I did not have tested it, it came with a special Bios in order to work with a XT-Class machine.

pearce_jj

Veteran Member
There are several controllers that are described as XT-IDE - which controller do you have?