• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000EX hard disk.

Hatta

Experienced Member
I just acquired a Tandy 1000EX. Is it possible to use IDE devices with this machine in conjunction with the XT-IDE? The XT-IDE wiki says the HX is supported, so I think the EX would be too. If anyone knows for sure I'd like to hear. I'd like to put a CF-IDE device in this thing if possible.

Are there other upgrades available for the 1000EX? Can I install more RAM or overclock this thing? I imagine much is complicated by the nonstandard slots.

The 1000EX and 1000HX use the so-called "PLUS" connector, which is really just the 8-bit ISA bus converted to a pin connector. Radio Shack sold a right-angle adapter which converted the PLUS bus into a standard ISA slot.

Note that Tandy had their own IDE-XT standard, known as "SmartDrive" (not to be confused with the DOS disk caching program) designed to work with the Seagate ST-325X (20 meg) and ST-351A/X (40 meg) drives, plus maybe a few similar drives from Western Digital. I mention this so you won't get confused if you see references to the Tandy SmartDrive controller for IDE-XT drives. The current "IDE-XT" controller project being offered through this Forum is actually an IDE-AT (a.k.a. ATA or EIDE) controller designed to work through an 8-bit XT bus, and thus will work with almost any modern IDE or EIDE type hard drive, and is not to be confused with the long-obsolete "IDE-XT" controllers and drives.

Back