• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1400FD "High Memory"

pearce_jj

Veteran Member
I've been wondering how the additional 128KB of RAM in the above is used? I'm running the DOS 3.3 that was supplied with the machine BTW.

Many thanks!

Finally found the answer for sure in the 1400LT service manual - it's for disk cache, 128KB, DC000 - FC000. So what I need now is a disk caching utility for an 8088 CPU that can be configured to use this.

Finally found the answer for sure in the 1400LT service manual - it's for disk cache, 128KB, DC000 - FC000. So what I need now is a disk caching utility for an 8088 CPU that can be configured to use this.

Geez Pearce - I'm glad you came through on this as I was holding my breath all the way. (lol) If you have DOS 4, 5, or 6 and/or Win 3.1, which you do, you could try SMARTDRV.EXE or SMARTDRV.SYS. You might want to play with RAMDRV.SYS which is located on Disk 5 of the WIN 3.1 3.5" floppy set.

Last edited:
Lol! But doesn't Smartdrv require 386?

It slipped my mind (not hard these days) that your 1400 has a 8088 or probably a NEC V20. SMARTDRV works with a 286 not sure about your configuration. You'll be able to setup a RAM disk but I'm not about disk caching. However, there maybe something out there to accommodate that need.

I tried the t14mem utility on a 1400FD to load keyb (Tandy DOS 3.3) but it didn't seem to do anything. But the extra RAM is detected using Norton sysinfo at the same location as in the LT service manual though (DC000-FC000) although I think the RAM is probably on the system board, since there is no RAM card visible through the expansion slot cover.

Back