• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 200 Optional ROM

antiquekid3

Veteran Member
So I saw where someone mentioned the REX for the Tandy on here...and I got to thinking: does my Tandy have any optional ROM installed?

Well, sure enough it did. But when I got it, the computer started up cold. I saw where I could "call 61167,2" in BASIC and call the ROM. I have some ROM called "Guardian 200 BETA (c) PFaC 86". Has anyone heard of this ROM? What's it supposed to do?

I tried using the "call" command, and suddenly, it took me back to the home screen where I spotted a new application I haven't seen before. It's called "AP.BA". Keep in mind now, I got this computer from someone who worked for Associated Press. I run the program and it prompts me with a question mark. I break from the program and ask it to list the code. Here's what the program consists of:

0 CALLPEEK(61287)+PEEK(61288)*256+31:MENU^FINKEY$CSNGTHENDSKI$PEEK:DSKI$PEEKSPACE$MID$^Q>1!AKCSRLINCOSPEEKKEY2HVALCSNG/+LEN^B/+!''#FSQR^L/+xMAX>^BUSINGEOFPEEK> ^GRNDINKEY$
1 @
2 INPUTL$
3 @
4 :mad:

I don't read this kind of programming very well. I like neat, ordered programs, with maybe a few comments thrown in. Can anyone interpret this and figure out what this program is supposed to do?

Thanks!!

Kyle

Well, I cracked the code! As I said, this computer came from Associated Press and is even complete with an Associated Press sticker! Instead of attempting to read the program and figure out what it does, I started entering different things in after the prompt. "BETA" was written on the computer, but I didn't give it much thought until now. After finally trying "BETA" as a password, it did something different! It now takes me to an AP Bureau Portable Terminal program! It's pretty cool! I'll ask the guy who gave it to me more about it hopefully tomorrow. I wish I knew a good way to take screen shots. I am able to connect the Tandy to a PC via serial connection.

Kyle

Well, I cracked the code! As I said, this computer came from Associated Press and is even complete with an Associated Press sticker! Instead of attempting to read the program and figure out what it does, I started entering different things in after the prompt. "BETA" was written on the computer, but I didn't give it much thought until now. After finally trying "BETA" as a password, it did something different! It now takes me to an AP Bureau Portable Terminal program! It's pretty cool! I'll ask the guy who gave it to me more about it hopefully tomorrow. I wish I knew a good way to take screen shots. I am able to connect the Tandy to a PC via serial connection.

Kyle

Sweet!

Yeah, they were used by AP (and other) correspondents to type their stories and then upload them to the nearest AP office; there's at least one ex-correspondent on the Club100 mail list who used them.

There are also many writers who still use the M100/M200s today and upload their text to a PC or SD card; they're light, instant on, and have a great keyboard and great (AA) battery life.

Here are the pictures!

img3646g.jpg

img3648d.jpg

img3639o.jpg

img3641l.jpg

img3643vb.jpg

img3642.jpg

img3644d.jpg

img3645v.jpg

guardian ROMs

guardian ROMs

Hi,

Steve here, creator of REX.

What you have here is a custom option rom made for AP using the Guardian method for converting a BASIC program into an option rom.

What this allowed, is for AP, they could write an application in BASIC, and ship it off to the Guardian people, who would convert it to an option rom. Then, you would have a permanent version of the software in ROM ready to use at any time.

I would love to get a copy of that ROM.

It is relatively easy to do. I have a short program that reads the ROM and sends it out the serial port as HEX codes.

Email me if you are interested in helping me out to get that ROM.

cheers, Steve

Back