• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 2000 FDD won't go

MLMorris

Hello:
I have dug out my T2000 which I bought new back in '83 or 84. It is a dualFDD model which has 640K ram, the High-Res graphics and the Mouse/clock card. As far as IO recall, it all worked fine when I put it away.

The machine powers up fine and displays the Memory Size on the display. That's as far is it goes. I recall that it should attempt to boot from Drive0. The drive does not spin, the Drive LED does not light up. There is no life from the FDD. There is no life from either FDD.

I've removed most of the expansion cards and disassembled the machine so that I can get scope probes into the main logic board. I don't see any life coming from the FDC. I was becoming quite suspicious that the FDC had failed until I read elsewhere in this forum that such FDCs rarely fail.

There is a fair bit of ripple on all of the DC power supply lines (exceeding the spec in the Tech Ref Guide). There is a 100uF Cap inside the PS which has burst, which I'm guessing is part of the cause of the ripple. Not sure why it would have burst in the first place. I'm thinking the ripple is a problem but not the likely cause of the FDD problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a troubleshooting path/direction I might try?

Back