• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 2500 XL/2 Restore

Havoc

Experienced Member
I am currently rebuilding a very rare Tandy 2500 XL/2 computer, which I will post a video of this restore once it's finished. The 286 was all but a blur for me. From what I recall I went from 8088/86 to having a 286 for a few weeks, then BAM! right to a 386. That did not last long either, 486, Pentium, etc. etc.. This computer has challenged me to know end. Since I bought it off Ebay (none working). The MB had a built in HD controller failure. I have repaired the system and am now loading up software. I can recall the endless trouble I had when I ran my 1st 286. Memory management is difficult on a 286. To new for older above board memory manager software & to old for the good stuff like EMM386. So I am having a real hard time getting at the UMB of this system. I have tried third party software made for a 286 like Qram. Only to find Tandy chipset wont allow for EMM to load. Qram asks for a 3rd party EMM or EMS driver, everything I try fails on this chipset. Does anyone know of any other Memory Management Software I can run on this 286?

I found that Radio Shack had a memory manager for the XL/2. It was called TEMXL2. It loads as a system file (TEMXL2.SYS) & It's made for this chipset & it was found on the original XL/2 install disk. I have searched, I can't find it anywhere.

I have the 1000 RLX which uses a 286. In order to use himem, I had to use a machine type switch for it to work... If you'd like, I can go fire it up and report back.

With the help from some friends on a blog I visit more often, (Less Controlling) I found the files I needed and the XL/2 see's all 5MB's of ram. Look for a restore video coming soon.

Back