• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

tandy 3000 nl memory board

286user

I recently acquired a tandy 3000 nl 286 that seems to be in good shape. I still need to test it out, but one thing ive noticed and from what ive read. The mainboard has 640k ram, the 2 simms populated and the additional chip sockets next to it filled, so from what ive read that equals the 640k. In addition ive read i need to remove those if i use the proprietary memory board to take it up to 8megs total. My question is this the unit didnt come with the memory board, but i have a couple of tandys and clones or i guess spinoffs such as a grid 386/33 and a digital decstation 316+. They have the memory board, specifically i want to canablize the 316+ as its board has a substantial amount of capacitors needing replacement. So since the memory board out of the decstation 316+ seems to be exactly like the board tandy made for this unit would it work in the 3000 nl? I mean ive pulled the board and it even has tandy part #'s on it such as the following p/n 870-9838. It looks almost identical to the one pictured on this thread https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/acquired-a-tandy-3000nl-got-questions.69816/. The pic towards the bottom shows the memory board but the p/n isnt exactly a match to mine? I know the board came out of a tandy clone, and according to documentation those are supposed to be 32 bit proprietary memory boards, as the unit it came out of is a 386dx16. Has anyone tried this with a memory board from a clone tandy that is a 386 but using it on a 286 that seems to have the same pinout for the memory card? I dont want to damage the 3000nl but do want to max its ram out.

Back