• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy Assembly 2023 is September 29 - October 1

Be there or be square! It's a great show, and a great community!

(This message brought to you by Heathkit Gang!)

Hi,

First timer to TandyAssembly here. Appreciate all the discussions, and especially the talks. They were all great , but a few shout outs -

Ruud - Great talk and really interesting. I'm not a MII person so don't take offense. :)

Hey Birt! - Amazon is a bit richer after your talk. ;) Ordered a few items as you were talking. Trying them out this week. Thanks for all the great tips and answering my question about Card Edge Connectors. Never thought to use cardboard to get into the plug side!

Ian & Eric - Loved the mix of info and comedy! I consider myself lucky never to have owned any of those pieces. (Though I ran a BBS with a cups modem. Friend created a device with a photosensor that detected ring voltage, then being plugged into cass port of a Model I I could sense it and tell a relay to open. When the session was done, I told the relay to close. )

Matt & Arno - I WANTED PRECIOUS and was disappointed it wasn't available for sale. Sounds really great!

Tim - You sold me. I have some disks I need to send off to Ira, so on the way back I'll be getting that along with the other things.

Lawrence - OMG. I never realized you could write so much in Typescript! I'm forced to use just a fraction of it for ${DAYJOB} but you went above and way beyond in those tools. Thanks! (Already coming in handy)

Frank - Thanks for the trip down memory lane, never thought of the history.

Stephen - Thanks for trying to preserve all that history, I've sent a small donation. Good luck on bigger space!

IAN (On the Auction) - What can one say. ;) Excellent job.

MY ONLY COMPLAINT!!!!!!

There wasn't more there for me to buy. ;)

I hate to have this hanging over everyones head for another year, but you'll probably see me next year. ;)

Tuc

First timer here also. Awesome show all around.

Agree that Ruud and Birt's presentations were very informative - those were the ones I had in mind when I signed up. I'd seen Birt's retrobriting analysis on youtube and appreciated the attention to detail, so he was the main reason I signed up for the tech track.

If that was Ian jetlagged he must be a blast when he's well rested. Both the crappy accessories presentation and the auction were engaging and fun. I think we all noticed how many of the 'crappy accessories' were up for auction.

The other presentations were very also very informative. The TRS-IO++ presentation was fascinating and give me ideas not just for the TRS-80 but also for other projects I am working on. Frank's talk on the pre-history of graphics led to several moments of; "So THAT'S why it does that!"

It would be cool if more computers were available for sale, but I can also see that it would be difficult to predict demand.

Ideas for presentations for next year:

- Getting started in the TRS ecosystem: The different models, how they relate to each other, the purposes and demos of each of the modern accessories.
- Modern uses for vintage computers: From original software and games to present-day use cases.
- It's dead, now what? A primer on troubleshooting techniques - Multimeter / Oscilloscope / Logic Analyzer
- A guide to finding and purchasing retro and vintage equipment.

All around, a very approachable group.

The only thing I didn't like was that there were anti-transgender stickers on the presentation laptop, and the baseball cap of one of the show officials. It seemed out of place for such a welcoming and non-political group event. I had been planning on bringing a friend from work to Sunday, but that would have been awkward for them.

Back