• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TandyVision CDs

acadiel

Experienced Member
Any idea what these are? They appear to have Windows files on them and a bunch of stuff I can't read.

https://imgur.com/a/5SXhY

TandyVision 2.0 -- TandyVision registered trademark of Tandy Corporation.
4/27/92
Copyright Notices
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Data (c) 1991, 1992 Tandy Corporation. All rights reserved.
Shell (c) 1991, 1992 R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company
and Mammoth Micro Productions Inc.
All Rights Reserved
RTE (c) 1989-1991 Mammoth Micro Productions Inc.
DbVista (c) 1985-1989 Raima Corporation. All rights reserved.
Operating System (c) 1991 MicroSoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Odd. TandyVision was the label given to a Radio Shack version of the Intellivision back in the early 80s. That would not use CDs though.

Based on the dates, it looks to be a prerelease disk for the very unsuccessful Tandy VIS which was an attempt to make a 286 Windows PC into a game console. Weird thing.

Maybe list the files?

It might be training material for Radio Shack employees. Companies would often call such training an "Information Network".

This appears to be software for a catalog kiosk called "TandyVision Information Center" that ran on DOS 5 / Windows 3.0 MME. I vaguely remember one of these in our local Radio Shack.

If you build a minimal system running DOS 5, mount the ISO and run \UPDATE\UPDATE.BAT it will install the software on the HD. It then boots, loads CD/sound drivers and runs "win /s tshell" from the \VISION\BIN directory.

The Windows install is configured for a Carrol touch screen and Paradise VGA. I started playing around with it in VMWare Workstation but tshell wont load with the generic VGA driver. Switched to DOSBox and with machine=svga_paradise it looks like it could be made to work but I ran out of time for tonight :)

tandyvision.jpgtandyvision1.jpgtandyvision2.jpgtandyvision3.jpgtandyvision4.jpg

Last edited:
Back