• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TCP Options

nc_mike

Experienced Member
I have an Intel 100B NIC in a 386 machine and boot up DOS with the DOS driver for the 100B plus mTCP and Trunpet Winsock. I get TCP/IP under DOS and with Trumpet on Win 3.11 I also get TCP/IP connectivity using the same driver.

Just out of curiosity I tried adding Win 3.11 Network support (MS Network) and added the MSTCPIP protocol. When I rebooted and went to start Windows, I couldn't connect - the DOS drivers for the 100B and TCP stack conflict with TCP/IP networking set up natively in Win3.11. If I want to get IP working in both DOS and Windows, is my only recourse to not use Win 3.11 networking and use only the DOS 100B driver and mTCP with Trumpet? or, is there a way for the two (DOS IP and native Win 3.11 IP) to coexist?

Regards
Mike

Hi,

In general you can only use one TCP/IP option with a network card at a time. To be more specific:

• mTCP and WATTCP are similar - they both require a packet driver to be loaded first and they both provide their own TCP/IP stacks. You can only use one at a time.
  • Trumpet (for DOS!) also uses a packet driver, but it loads a TCP/IP stack as a TSR. Then you have to run a program that uses Trumpet. You can have Trumpet loaded and then use mTCP or WATTCP programs. The only thing they can all reuse is the packet driver.
  • Windows adds even more options ... I'm not too familiar with Trumpet Winsock.

So the short story is don't mix and match.

Hi,

In general you can only use one TCP/IP option with a network card at a time. To be more specific:

• mTCP and WATTCP are similar - they both require a packet driver to be loaded first and they both provide their own TCP/IP stacks. You can only use one at a time.
  • Trumpet (for DOS!) also uses a packet driver, but it loads a TCP/IP stack as a TSR. Then you have to run a program that uses Trumpet. You can have Trumpet loaded and then use mTCP or WATTCP programs. The only thing they can all reuse is the packet driver.
  • Windows adds even more options ... I'm not too familiar with Trumpet Winsock.

So the short story is don't mix and match.

I suspected as much, thanks for confirming!

Regards,
Mike

Back