• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Telcon Zorba with disk issues?

snuci

Veteran Member
Before I go down a rabbit hole, I thought I'd ask for some advice. I have a Telcon Zorba with Canon MDD-210 48TPI drives. The Zorba works. I have a working floppy diskette I made from an archived copy and I have an original boot disk that will boot but has an error if I try to make a copy. This could be related to my problem.

The Zorba will boot CP/M but for whatever reason, I cannot format or write. Trying to write a file to either A: or B: causes corruption and track errors when trying to read. I don't know if the issue is with writing and/or erasing so I was going to try to align the floppy drives to see if that help. The issue is, it happens to both drives. I tried to replace the WD FD1793B-02 floppy controller chip with another but the issue remains.

Before I try to do an alignment and likely messing up the drive more, if I can read a floppy made by another computer (PC in my case), does it mean it's already aligned and I should be looking for a different solution?

Any help is much appreciated. I've tested almost all related ICs a little while back but it wouldn't hurt to try again if that could be the issue. This is a strange one to me.

Santo

I'd start with checking Pin 2 /WE to the FDC to make sure you are getting it, along with
the correct signals that are outputs to the Floppy Drive. Pin 31 WD and Pin 30 WG.
It has to be something common to both drives. (Cable, Terminator, FDC, Input Signals
to FDC, or output Signals to Floppy Drives from FDC.

Don't mess with Alignment, but a speed test of each drive might tell you something.

I've got some FDC diags for TRS-80 in Basic that you might be able to modify to test
the Zorba FDC.

./Downloads/TRS-80-Documentation/Model3/Software-Diag/WDC1793 Floppy Disk Controller Tester (1983)(Dave Owen)[BAS].zip
./Downloads/TRS-80-Documentation/Model3/Software-Diag/WD1793TS.ASC

Larry

Attachments

• WD-179x.png
    WD-179x.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 2
  • FDCIIIASC.TXT
    4.3 KB · Views: 2
  • WD1793TSASC.TXT
    4.4 KB · Views: 1
Thank you Larry. I've had a busy weekend and haven't been able to get back to it. I have an RPM gauge and both drive are at 298rpm so the speed is good.

I will check those signals. The FDC cable is very specific to the Zorba but it looks okay.

I'll post back my results when I get a chance to take a good look. Thanks again.

Santo

Back