• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Teletype High-speed Paper Tape Punch (BRPE)

pbirkel@gmail.com

Veteran Member
Folks interested in a 110 cps (fast!) 8-level 1" paper tape punch may want to consider bidding on the BRPE11 listed on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/296166916217

FYI these don't show up very often (a bit R@RE :->); it's not mine. This one needs some cleaning on the backside and generally, but the punch mechanism looks to be in pretty good shape. The unit is missing the chad box, but the uncommon Hubbell power connector is present; it has a LMU3 synchronous 115VAC motor. Plus it has the nice original-style see-through punch cover. And an almost full spool of tape ... although it seems to be the wrong size for this unit (11/16" instead of 1") if the seller-note is correct and the reel that it's on obviously doesn't fit properly (see the hub mismatch).

Some documentation can be found in http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/communications/teletype/brpe/
See it in action here:
Prototype Arduino code: https://github.com/emooreatx/Teletype-BRPE/

I'm currently restoring a BRPE21, which has essentially the same punch mechanism but adds a few bells-and-whistle for flexibility. But it's missing the motor cover, reel, chad box, and Hubbell power connector, and the punch cover is solid metal (darn!). My punch mechanism was gummed with wax buildup from operations past with several punch pins inoperative. This BRPE11 likely needs some punch cleaning and re-lubricating as well.

You'll have to build a controller to make it sing; both to drive the nine 28V 1A actuator magnets and to monitor the magnetic timing sensor (and optionally the tape-out indicator). I'm leveraging/extending the work of Eric Moore / Guy Fedorkow as seen in the YouTube video and GitHub repository. My objectives are to enable 5- thru 8-level support (the BRPE21 is designed for that full range) using USB serial, RS-232 serial, and parallel interfaces, plus local self-test/alignment patterns for each level.

FYI: Listing says THE TAPE IS 11/16" WIDE.
Indeed, however that's in a reel that obviously doesn't go with the BRPE (see the mismatch at the hub); someone just hung it on there "for looks". The 8-level (9 actuator magnets) punch unit by necessity requires a 1" tape. I've attached a diagram of various configurations of holes and tape widths for reference. Also the Teletype BRPE11 product description.

Attachments

• Paper Tape Hole Configurations.jpg
    Paper Tape Hole Configurations.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 6
  • BRPE11.pdf
    733.7 KB · Views: 3
No problem :->. I see that it sold last night for $262.97, plus $60.15 "standard shipping". Hope that the buyer impresses on the seller the importance of serious padding and a double-walled/strength box; the BRPE is _heavy_. I guess that leaving the reel in its wedged-in position will protect the holder and out-of-tape sensor some. Best of luck to the buyer in restoring this bit of Teletype history :->.

Back