• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Test My Software Archive Website?

olePigeon

Veteran Member
Hello. I'm looking for feedback on a vintage-computer-friendly website I made to host an archive of my personal software collection. It's currently 80% Macintosh and will be about 20% Apple ][ as I finish imaging those, then eventually a few DOS games as my DOS collection grows. It's only software that I own, this isn't a mirror of any other website or abandonware repository (although everything qualifies for exemption under DMCA.) Nearly everything I imaged from original disks or shareware that I purchased. I think there're a few games and apps in there that aren't anywhere else, even Archive or Macintosh Garden. I'm slowly re-imaging everything using my AppleSauce FDC and adding flux images. Kinda redundant for my non-copy-protected disks, but whatever. Gives me something to do.

This website is primarily for me to use. I do not provide serial numbers or kracks, but it's a good source for clean disk images.

I've tested the website on a Mac Plus, IIci, and IIfx using Netscape. I just find it convenient to be able to download software directly to my vintage Mac without needing an intermediary.

I think it turned out pretty nice considering I don't know a lick of PHP. I used OpenAI to help generate the code and stumble my way through to a working website.

http://www.bitcider.com/

I like the design / layout to it. It's interesting that it supports older browsers and technology, I assume that's why you don't have it running over https.

I'd be wary of running generated PHP code (or any code for that reason), it's really easy to lose your site. I've built filesharing sites and a ton of other stuff in PHP, if you want me to check it over let me know.

Yeah, the PHP generates HTML 3 code. It was the only way I know how to dynamically generate the HTML and still work with vintage browsers. I'm honestly surprised it works considering the bulk of it was generated by OpenAI. I mean, I tweaked it here and there to get it to work, but, yeah, it probably looks like spaghetti code.

Back