• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Texas Instruments Portable Professional Computer - Multifunction Board Installation Manual

hanshuebner

Hi,

I have a Texas Instruments Portable Professional Computer on my bench for repair and upgrade. Together with the unit, I received a couple of Multifunction Boards (#2245876) with memory and clock (no serial or parallel daughter cards, sadly):

PXL_20230328_154826473_2.jpg

Amazingly, two of the boards still have 3.4V coming out of their batteries.

There is also a memory upgrade daughter board (256K Secondary Multi-Function Kit, #2245895):

PXL_20230328_154851674.jpg

Most of the boards have some failed memory chips and I'm looking forward to putting all of them into sockets. I have not found a manual or a driver disk image, however, so I would not know how to test the clock functionality. Also, maybe some jumpers need to be set for the 256k expansion to be recognized, so a manual would be most helpful. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you!
Hans

I also have a Persyst Time Spectrum for TI - Likewise, if anyone has documentation that they can share, I'd be most grateful.

PXL_20230328_161329052.jpg

Thanks,
Hans

Not trying to dissuade you, but you do realize TIPC's (including even the portables) weren't IBM compatible, right? They required software specifically written for TIPC's. I owned several of them along with the Business Pros at one point many years ago (I worked for a Siemens facility that had previously been owned by TI). Only one (a desktop TIPC) had been made IBM compatible (a nearly complete motherboard upgrade to a 286). All those machines are long gone (I may have a portable here somewhere), but finding any documentation on them now would take a Herculean effort. You might have a little better luck posting in the TI forum.

@T-R-A I'm really just trying to get the machine into working order as well as possible. It is lacking the graphics option, so many of the demos that are available online are not working on it anyway. What's the TI forum that you're mentioning?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for information about these two cards used in the TIPC, do you have any info? A thousand thanks

Attachments

• model 1000 the expander.jpg
    model 1000 the expander.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 5
  • model 1000 the expander 01.jpg
    model 1000 the expander 01.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240126_113246[1].jpg
    IMG_20240126_113246[1].jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
I also have a Persyst Time Spectrum for TI - Likewise, if anyone has documentation that they can share, I'd be most grateful.

View attachment 1254796

Thanks,
Hans
I can probably help you .

Back