• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TFX Power supply on a Tandy 1000 SL/TL

CarlosTex

Experienced Member
Call me crazy, but i'm gonna do this.

I can't stand dealing with an increasing number of converters and cables, which just makes things harder and increasingly disorganized. Unless i can find a 220V Tandy Power Supply for my SL, i'm gonna cram a TFX PSU into the Tandy case. The TFX dimensions are smaller than the Tandy PSU (SL at least), put some holes on the chassis to fix them together. Mod the connector like i did with my AT PSU, which is powering my SL motherboard right now, and i won't have to deal with lame AC conversion.

This might seem a bit over the top, but i just want to keep things as simple as i can. Any thoughts?

Call me crazy, but i'm gonna do this.

I can't stand dealing with an increasing number of converters and cables, which just makes things harder and increasingly disorganized. Unless i can find a 220V Tandy Power Supply for my SL, i'm gonna cram a TFX PSU into the Tandy case. The TFX dimensions are smaller than the Tandy PSU (SL at least), put some holes on the chassis to fix them together. Mod the connector like i did with my AT PSU, which is powering my SL motherboard right now, and i won't have to deal with lame AC conversion.

This might seem a bit over the top, but i just want to keep things as simple as i can. Any thoughts?

You might consider using a PicoPSU.

http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT

I ran a very heavy 8088 setup on a picopsu-90 for a long while, the SL should be more than happy with it.

Get an ATX to AT adapter with auto-power on, and re-wire the connector to match the 1000's power input. You can even use the existing power switch in this scenario.

1000SL technical reference says +5v max draw is 7A on the factory power supply, 2.4A on +12v, which is well within the tolerances of the PicoPSU-160, but you'll want to keep the cooling fan.

The pinout for power supply is:

1 +5v
2 +5v
3 +5v
4 G
5 G
6 G
7 G
8 -12v
9 +12v

Last edited:
I took a look into Pico PSU's but its just easier to get a TFX PSU, which will fit the case just fine with a couple of improvised holes.
I'll do the same with the AT PSU that is currently powering the motherboard. I just rewired the connectors for the right pinout and it works just fine. It's a little amount of work.

All the adapters i can avoid i will.

Back