• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The F11 and J11 odd data address trap

vol.litwr

Experienced Member
The Xhomer emulator doesn't generate a trap on an odd data address. Does the F11 generate such a trap? I know that the J11 generates it. But I am not aware is it possible to disable this J11 feature? A lot of thanks in advance.

EDIT. How do I determine which is being used, the F11 or J11?

Yeah, that is an old surprise. I don't think odd address was supposed to be done but F11's never minded so people did it.

11/23 do not trap on odd addresses - an the original BDV11 bootstrap code contained at least one so it didn't work on an 11/73, use the MFPT instruction to get a value for the cpu type on 11/23 and later, 11/23 returns 3 in R0

The 11/03 didn't, did the 11/45,44,or 70?
All the discrete TTL implementations of PDP-11 CPUs had an odd address trap.
LSI11, T11, and F11 did not; J11 did. So YMMV depending on the PDP-11 chip level implementation you have.
Based on hazy recollection and confirmation by the PDP-11 Processor Handbook 1985 appendix page A-15 CPU differences table.

Ok. So this is just another one of those oddball things like the stunt you could pull by running programs in the pdp11/05's registers (faster!). Same trick was done on a KA10 but I don't know of any other 11 that would allow it.

Ok. So this is just another one of those oddball things like the stunt you could pull by running programs in the pdp11/05's registers (faster!). Same trick was done on a KA10 but I don't know of any other 11 that would allow it.
Same book, page A-14 CPU differences only the 11/05-10 allows GPR reference from an I/O page address.

Back