• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The first sound card? 1978 MUSOR (on SWTPC) demo tape

vwestlife

Veteran Member
Musician Paul Millar (a.k.a. Slugbug) archived this circa 1978 demo tape for an electronic music system using a SWTPC 6800 computer with custom sound generation hardware:

His description:

Mystery cassette I found in my grandmother's house in the late 90s that became the object of much fascination. My mom did her doctoral research on music computer-aided instruction using this system and later the Apple ][. The sound producing hardware (MUSOR) consisted of a SWTPC 6800 CPU interfaced with a card cage of custom TTL circuits (high frequency oscillators and discrete wavetables), which was itself controlled by a music markup language (AMUS) implemented on a Hewlett-Packard 2000 series minicomputer, which supported several terminals and MUSORs simultaneously. The sound quality is unique and pleasant to these ears, owing to a relatively flexible system of dynamic and envelope control and a (software-controlled?) asymmetric distortion circuit to reduce the squareness of the waveforms. This is most clearly demonstrated in the last couple of songs on the tape. Some papers I received ca. 2005 from one of the designers: http://slugbug.sound-club.org/information/AMUS/

Back