• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

the Mac IIFX

I have 2, they rock!

Their major problem is they are completely dead unless both of the 3.6V PRAM batteries are good. Other then that they need a Nubus video card because they do not have built in video, and the RAM they use is proprietary so upgrading past 8MB gets pricey.

all II's need a video card.

What's unusual about the ram? Is it the modules or the chips specifically (which doesn't amount to a lot of sense in my teeny tiny brain, doubt Apple had special ram chips made for these thing). I don't know how high I'll be upgrading it (provided I even get it at this point), but it would be nice to know it could be done.

You say pricey - do you buy from *reputable* ahem Apple resellers, or just off of ePay?

It is special 68 pin SIMMs RAM only used in the IIfx, they can be found on ebay. You just need to make sure the speed is 80ns for the IIfx since they made some 100ns for an apple printer and those are too slow. GVP Amiga RAM is also 68 pin and does NOT work on the IIfx, same with some special AST? RAM for old PCs. 1MB are common and cheap as dirt (you install 4 at a time), 4MB ones are harder to find and cost a few bucks each, 16MB ones are almost non existant except for one guy who made up batches for $50-150 a set of 4 (sold on ebay, he might have more if you need them I know him).

IIci is a "II" and has built in video, there are others. If you say the big box II's don't have built in video that would be correct.

yes I meant big box IIs.

the ram chips are standard though. The pcb is special, no? In other words I could utilize more or less standard 16mb ram chips if I made my own boards?

They'd need to be 80ns or faster, right? It gets messy when you start talking about ram chip speeds I know. The problem is they come off the assembly line and are tested, and say a module rated for 60ns can be anywhere in that region (say 50 to 70ns). That's what I've been told anyway.

yes I meant big box IIs.

the ram chips are standard though. The pcb is special, no? In other words I could utilize more or less standard 16mb ram chips if I made my own boards?

They'd need to be 80ns or faster, right? It gets messy when you start talking about ram chip speeds I know. The problem is they come off the assembly line and are tested, and say a module rated for 60ns can be anywhere in that region (say 50 to 70ns). That's what I've been told anyway.

Yes the PCB is special as is the way the chips are wired. If you REALY intend on making some I can get you in contact with the guy who resersed engineered it, he might even give you the layouts since I don't think he has made any in a while once they sold for $50 a set or under. He had the PCBs done professionaly, soldered and tested all parts himself, and I think he had to actually cut the fiberglass himself.

The issue with any circuits is the rating in speed of the parts used (RAM chips in this case), and the rating the PCB and other parts can take once assembled (noise at frequency used etc).

Back