• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The State of the AT&T 3B2 Simulator

Twylo

Experienced Member
Yes, I'm still working on it! Thanks to the gift of an anonymous donor, I have access to the 3B2 Off-Line Diagnostics manual, and that has helped me fix numerous bugs. The "Off-Line Diagnostics" referred to in the manual are the Debug Monitor (DGMON) tests available on the "3B2 Maintenance Utilities - Issue 4.0" disk that can be found a few places online.

As of this morning, the simulator passes all core CPU tests and several of the system board tests.

3b2_diagnostics_20170412.png

Using a real 3B2 as a benchmark, I have also fixed numerous timing bugs, making the system timing much more accurate to real hardware.

I've got hard drive emulation working now, so you can attach a simulated 72MB hard disk. The disk emulated is the CDC Wren II (925 tracks, 18 sectors per track, 9 heads, 512 bytes per sector)

Unfortunately, I still can't boot and run the 3B2 UNIX Install script. There are still some timing bugs lurking in the system that cause /etc/inst/instf to fail with an error due to floppy drive timeouts. I'll continue to try to iron them out until I can actually install System V Release 3.0 on the simulated hard drive.

Back