• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Warp Factor (Atari 800 game) real or vaporware?

Teletech

Experienced Member
It's basically an unlicensed rip-off of the tabletop game "Star Fleet Battles".
I played it a fair bit in my youth on an Apple II+, but according to the box it was also available for the Atari 800.
Can anyone confirm that it existed for the Atari and if so, does anyone know where a copy might be located?
thanks,

I'm pretty sure "The Warp Factor" was only released for IBM and Apple. The game "The Cosmic Balance" was released for the Atari 800 and is essentially a very similar game from SSI and the same author Murry ?. I think this game may be available from "http://www.atarimania.com" but I know nothing about this site at all. I do own the game and it was always fun to play especially the ship creation section.
> Charles

but according to the box it was also available for the Atari 800.
Really? I have checked the box of the Apple II release and don't see where it does mention that.

There's actually a scanned magazine advert on MobyGames from Febr. 1983 that clearly says it was an (exclusive) Apple II game that has "now" been converted to IBM. If there ever was an Atari version, it must be from 1983 or later, which is unlikely.

Last edited:
Oops, you are quite right and it apparently was Apple-II and DOS, and also that Cosmic Balance, or at least Cosmic Balance II seems to be about the same game but for Atari.
Based on the timeline, it actually looks more like a sequel or update that was released for Atari, Apple II(on the same disk no less), and also C64 and IBM. Apparently it allows one to design one's own ships as well as fight.
Thanks very much for re-ordering some wayward neurons.

Last edited:
Back