• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

They're Here!!!

No. I mean a floppy drive cable. If you don't have one I can get you pics of how to make one from a $15 cable from ebay or scrap from goodwill.

You can also order the parts directly from China (via eBay) and make the cables yourself, as another option. Costs about the same (maybe $20 all up) but you get enough parts to make a few cables and you can make each one as long or short as you like and put the connectors where it suits you. Only drawback is no keying pins on the connectors, especially the edge connectors.

Here's a pic of some I got to make both PC floppy and IDE cables ($10 for the IDE parts.) Both ribbon cables here are two metres in length, but of course you cut them to the length you need for each cable you make up.

floppy_cable_parts.jpg

I bought all the cable parts I needed from Amazon, wasn't expensive. Digikey has them too.

I believe PC Components was the Amazon store that had them. I bought the bulk 25 piece kits because I was doing it for a several computers, didn't buy the crimping tool because I have a nice bench vice and just do that real carefully. Heck back in the day I used a hammer or channel lock pliers.

The nice thing about making your own, you can pick your own lengths and spacing just keep it under about 10 feet total, I keep them under 6 feet but the spec sheets claim 10. Each connector says pin 1, keep that on the same side of the cable and the same face. !____!__! you're good to go.

Back