• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Thinkpad 365xd does not read some CDs.

Franchute13

Hi.
I have a Thinkpad 365xd with CD reader.
I have a copy of Windows 95 and Office 97, which are recorded on generic CDs and the ThinkPad reads them without problems. The original CD also reads them without problem.

I want to burn CDs to copy data to the ThinkPad. I use Verbatim brand CDs (yellows) and the ThinkPad does not read them (makes a lot of noise and reads very little, giving errors). Try lowering the recording speed to the minimum (8x, it is the minimum). I try to use DAO / SAO / TAO and he does not read them either.
Burn CD using another recorder, do not read them either. Record using Windows / Linux, neither reads them.

Any suggestions?
Thk

CD-ROM drives in the 90s often had problems with CD-R burnable media, because they were never designed to work with the format. The only thing I can recommend is to try another brand of media, or see if you can find some new-old stock recordable media from the late 90s/early 2000s with a really low burn speed. I keep a stash of different branded media, and have some old stock 4x CD-Rs for those really troublesome drives.

My really old 1x SCSI CD-ROM drive refuses to read any kind of recordable media, and my older, slower CD-ROM only drives have problems with it as well.

CD-ROM drives in the 90s often had problems with CD-R burnable media, because they were never designed to work with the format. The only thing I can recommend is to try another brand of media, or see if you can find some new-old stock recordable media from the late 90s/early 2000s with a really low burn speed. I keep a stash of different branded media, and have some old stock 4x CD-Rs for those really troublesome drives.

My really old 1x SCSI CD-ROM drive refuses to read any kind of recordable media, and my older, slower CD-ROM only drives have problems with it as well.

Hi.
Thanks for answering.
What brand of CDs-R do you recommend?

I have four Verbatim DataLifePLus CD-R Multi-Speed 74 Minute NOS CDs if they're of interest. They're from around 1990.

I've generally found silver media to be better than coloured media for finicky CD drives. I'm sure there are a ton of exceptions to that though.

Hi.
Thanks for answering.
What brand of CDs-R do you recommend?

I keep a mix of Sony, Memorex and TDK around. My really old 4x media is CompUSA brand, I don't know who the OEM was for it.

I don't really recommend one brand, just whatever works as not all CD-ROM drives are the same. What works for me might not work for you.

If you do happen to come across some new-old stock CD-Rs, make sure to look for something called "bronzing", which is the process where the ink and foil on the CD-R start to decompose and turn to a bronze color. The disc may start to delaminate or have trouble being read or burned to.

Hi.
Thanks to everyone, especially to GigaByte. I solved the problem using a PCMCIA + SD card reader adapter and I was able to copy the necessary files.
Thank you again.

Back