• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Thinkpad 850 media

NeXT

Veteran Member
I do believe that at least one person here had an 850 but I'm not sure.
If so, did you ever get the media with it and is there anything special about it?
Also, could you multiboot these systems so I could run both AIX and NT 4?

Awwwww... yeah ok mostly a drool post. What are you thinking about doing with that system? Definitely worth a post if you do put if up for sale. I'd love to get one of those for a light weight AIX box. I know on the Alpha systems it takes a bios update to boot either although I never researched enough to see if one boot loader could jump between the two. You've probably found this link on the 850 already[url] and of course as luck and semantics would have it the first hit on google was your want to buy post lol. Is that you on [url="http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16723537"]this nekochan post? .. a suspicious amount of SGI and a NeXT cube in that last posters sig ;-)

Yeah, I once replied (with identical replies) to three identical (or near-identical) posts by NeXT on three different forums that I'm also on; NeXT uses completely different handles (and avatars) on all three, though; whereas I used the same on all three.

To my knowledge, it is not possible to multiboot. You need to load an OS-specific ARC to the firmware.

Edit: I should probably dig up my mirror of the old IBM PCBBS directory for PPC systems. It has ARC images for all the supported OSes.

Anon's got it right. I guess you can say I like to be original and causes all sorts of fun when people try to figure out who you are. ;)
Okay, so for both routes, I could go AIX and be able to work on the same level as my Apple Network Servers, or I could go to NT 4 where I would install Microsoft Visual Studio 6 and hope it included PowerPC components and not just x86. Then I could at least start feeding the system code and make applications that will run on PowerPC since I know of nothing that does work.

$2-3K per unit for like new condition. (Although that was an 'estimate' as he was driving and didn't have the info in front of him).

Back