• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Thinkpad T61 for sale

Lutiana

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone want a Thinkpad T61? The system is 100% functional. $100 plus shipping. Paypal only please.

Type: 8889U-02U
CPU: Core2Duo T7500
RAM: 3Gb (2Gb and 1Gb modules, upgradeable to 8Gb)
GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS140M
Display: A very nice 14.1" 4:3 display, 1400x1050
HDD: 160Gb WD Blue
DVD: DVD-RAM drive (CD-R/DVD-R)
Battery: Standard 6 Cell Lenovo battery. Lasted ~4:20 when I tested it on the laptop, so it still good.
Has: Fingerprint reader, Gig ethernet, Wifi, touchpad, touch dot thingy, a modem and a non Lenovo power brick.
Cosmetic: In perfect condition, though could use with a decent cleaning.
Notes: This appears to be a revision that is not affected by the Nvidia sub-standard solder issue (ie the GPU should not unsolder itself with use).

There is an XP Pro OEM key on the bottom, but the machine runs Windows 7 very well, and with a RAM upgrade it'll run 10 just fine too.

Included in the price is a second parts unit, but that one has the Nvidia GPU issue, so I can't power it up to get it's specs and it's keyboard is missing the enter key and some screws, it is otherwise complete and is also type 8889-02U. When it is turned on there is a double unreadable image, verified that it is not the LCD as it does the same thing on an external display.

Both are sold as-is.

Pictures are here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sAwiiPmu4My8WNMNA

Links of note for this model:

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T61

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Middleton's_BIOS -> Enables SATAII, disables the miniPCI whitelist and enables support for an IPS SXGA+ display.

Last edited:
I could quite possibly be interested. Only one question.

I see that the aspect ratio is 4:3, so that's good, but the resolution is 1400x1050. What I'd be wanting to use this for is older games, games from say 2000-2005, which may not all support 1400x1050, so how does it look when set to 1024x768 is it fuzzy/blurry, or does it scale nicely and still look sharp?

Also, nice to see it has the Nvidia Quadro GPU, but how much video ram does it have, 128mb?

I could quite possibly be interested. Only one question.

I see that the aspect ratio is 4:3, so that's good, but the resolution is 1400x1050. What I'd be wanting to use this for is older games, games from say 2000-2005, which may not all support 1400x1050, so how does it look when set to 1024x768 is it fuzzy/blurry, or does it scale nicely and still look sharp?

Also, nice to see it has the Nvidia Quadro GPU, but how much video ram does it have, 128mb?

Yes, it's 128Mb on the Quadro.

I have not specifically tried it at lower resolutions, but did not notice the display being fuzzy when it booted, so I thin the LCD handles the scaling just fine. I'll try to run some things on it at XGA res this weekend and snap a couple of pictures for you. FWIW the display is one of the nicers ones I've seen in a laptop of that era.

Quite a few games from that time frame support 1400x1050, and some can be forced to run in that mode with command line variables.

I used to have a D610 with a 1400x1050 screen and rarely had problems with games on it.

Quite a few games from that time frame support 1400x1050, and some can be forced to run in that mode with command line variables.

I used to have a D610 with a 1400x1050 screen and rarely had problems with games on it.

I didn't yet have a laptop back in that time (not counting the one my school gave me but that was for stuff like power point, word processing, and research not gaming) so I will admit I don't know the full capabilties of good spec'd laptops of the time, but I imagine 1400x1050 may be a little demanding on the GPU especially for games from 2004/2005 or later, so 1024x768 would also theoretically give me a higher frame rate.

I added two more pictures to the album for the T61 showing what the screen looks like at XGA (1024x768) and VGA (800x600).

Also, just as an FYI, you see Windows 7 in the images, but I will wipe the drive before shipping it. There is an XP Pro OEM key on the bottom, so you can re-install that, or throw on your own copy of 7 or even 10 if you want.

Ah thanks, looks the same to me only larger of course on the lower resolutions. I will do some more research on the performance of the Nvidia Quadro graphics and get back to you soon, probably in Private Messages.

Back