• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tips on displaying / storing / using old computers and equipment?

Gribnitz

Experienced Member
Ok, this is a serious question. I have too much stuff. I want to display and use it all, but realize my itty bitty room will not allow me to have it all sitting out for use. I have a 12x12 room with my everyday computer, an Amiga 4000, Commodore 64, IBM PC/AT, a 486 PC, a couple Tandy's and all with related monitors. I also have just about every vintage video game system known to man (kidding, but a lot of them) stuffed inside this room. Oh and I forgot about my little work desk with soldering iron, de-solder tool, and other related stuff. Can I suggest a thread for videos related to how you organize and keep things straight where you can find them when needed/wanted? I have always been horrible at staying organized and could really use the tips.

I recently had offload some stuff for the same reason, just had too much. The reality is, the more stuff you have the less you appreciate each individual part. I now follow the "less is more" principle, just keep your best stuff and get rid of the rest. I've now got a small collection but really appreciate the stuff that I have. And as mentioned above, fleabay came to the rescue. It was great seeing those old systems go to other collectors who will appreciate them.

I can relate, but it is going to be really hard picking the best of the best. I guess what would be the least painful for me to let go would be the stuff that needs work and is taking up the most space. I have been selling some stuff off slowly, but really need to get rid of some of the bigger stuff that I keep thinking are going to be projects on the soon to tackle list. I have a Tandy 2100 486SX in it's box and a Tandy 1000 TL in it's box that will probably have to go. I love Tandy stuff, but there are just too many of them. I got rid of one my Tandy HX machines last week.

Hang it all from the ceiling, and put the rest under your bed. :)

Or get a TARDIS. :p

But seriously, what you are looking for is probably a combination of creative shelving, and scaling things down.

Finding just the right shelving can be hard, though.

Don't underestimate the aesthetics of the shelves themselves. I just added some black metal shelves to my workroom, and in retrospect the black color as opposed to white or silver makes it feel like it is taking up more space than it really is. Also, metal utility shelves can make your room feel like a garage. But good wood shelves are expensive and less flexible. And except for server room type stuff, most shelves aren't designed for holding computers for actual use.

Also, consider combining multiple systems to a single monitor using VGA switches and composite to VGA converters. Where having a CRT is not critical, consider using smaller flat-panel monitors.

Good ol' Alfred Arnold. I have a feeling he most likely got rid of the majority of those machines, however.

The best way to store computer parts is just with a bunch of shelving. I have a 22" CRT hiding in the corner of my closet.

So spring cleaning. And need to hit each rack one shelf at a time and work down. Always a pain. And I get it so nice, but when you are picking in and out to get things it becomes chaos fast.
Test some items, throw some away.. then decide what needs to go with no use-cases on the horizon.. Should I finally get rid of all of these MFM drives??

And this is just ONE of my racks....

Attachments

• IMG_20240326_115516.jpg
    IMG_20240326_115516.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
Ill be honest I think its time. Ill test if I have time and pair some of them up with mfm controllers. Or maybe someone will just offer some money to take them all off my hands. Problem is they are heavy. Im keeping all my SCSI. Even my 2gb 1989 dual 5.25" drives because I love scsi.. but MFM.. I dont have a fondness for them. I remember too often losing all my data on my 5160 and having to LLF and reload.. IT was tedious.

Im down to my last 6 MFM/RLL drives (and one ESDI which looks like it is MFM but isnt so I guess thats 7 drives) So Honestly I think it would be better to find a new home for them.

IMG_20240326_122701.jpg

I have this one here which Im 90% certain came out of my Compaq Portable II its mfm (or RLL) with an 8 Bit IDE adapter board connected to it. thats how it came from Compaq.
IMG_20240326_122719.jpg

I have plenty, I think, so I’ll let others try to buy them first, but I’ll step in before they go to the bin. :)

Obviously I have more drives currently inside of machines. Those will remain for now. My 5155, both compaq portable I's, my 5160... Im sure there are more that still run MFM drives. Those can run those until they fail then I will go modern replacement.

And I am really interested as to where all my Slot 1 cpus are! I still havent found them yet!

Last edited:
Back