• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TMS7000 development systems

fjkraan

Experienced Member
Recently I could borrow documentation on the TMS7000 microprocessors and MCU's and related development systems. I intend to scan most of it, as I so far could not find much on the internet. If someone found anything, I could try to avoid duplicate work.

Most of the titles:

TMS7000

TMS7000 Evaluation Module User's Guide
TMS FAMILY TMS77C01 (PIT) USER'S MANUAL
TMS7000 Assembly Language Programmer's Guide
TMS7000 Programmer's Pocket Reference
TMS77C92 Datasheet & Application Note
TMS7742 8-BIT EPROM MICROCOMPUTER datasheet
TMS7742JDL.EPP001 8-BIT EPROM MICROCOMPUTER datasheet
Several color leaflets on TMS7000 Microcomputers and MCU's

XDS

XDS/22 Installation and Operation Guide
XDS Breakpoint/Trace Installation and Operation Guide
XDS TMS7000 Emulator Hardware
TMS 9902 ASYNCHRONOUS COMMUNICATIONS CONTROLLER DATA MANUAL
TM 990/100M MICROCOMPUTER USER'S GUIDE
TMS 9900 Family System Development Manual
XDS MODEL 22 DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT SYSTEM
XDS/7000 MODEL 22 EXTENDED DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT
XDS TMS7000 Emulator Hardware (XDS Extended Development Support Installation and Operation Guide)

Greetings,

Fred Jan Kraan

P.S. An image of the TMS7000 Evaluation Module

Attachments

• EvalModule.jpg
    EvalModule.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
I missed this post earlier, but better late than never...

A few of these are online:

also at: http://ftp.whtech.com/datasheets and manuals/Datasheets - TI/TMS9902_dataSheet_Jan77.pdf

There may be more of these on bitsavers, whtech, Stuart Conner's site at http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/tm990/tm990.htm, archive.org, etc. but that's what a quick search revealed. There may be others posted to AtariAge, here, or other forums, but it takes some digging to find things sometimes on forum platforms.
Currently there is active TM990 and XDS discussion on the AA TI subforum, including TMS7000 topics, but I don't recall seeing anything there as far as the particular manuals your list are concerned. So, the TMS7000 and XDS manuals you mention should certainly be archived.

Hi jbdigriz,

Thanks for the response and the pointers, I will investigate those. For scanning, I'll start with the stuff not found elsewhere.

In the mean time I only managed to start up the Evaluation Module (it works!) and dump its ROMs (included here as I didn't create a page for this project yet).
The ambitious idea was to create a simple single board computer / trainer similar to the MicroProfessor MPF-Ib and MicroKit09 (https://electrickery.nl/comp/microKit09/). Why? Because it is a different architecture and instruction set as most. With the Evaluation Module it should be relative simple to create and debug a board including a simple monitor. The board will be based on the TMS70C02. This MCU is still available on ebay.

The Evaluation Module and documentation are borrowed from the guy who created a physical trainer based on a TMS7001 (https://hackaday.io/project/19276-multi-t). The XDS is also somewhere in storage.

Greetings,
Fred Jan

Attachments

• EvaluationModuleROMs.zip
    23.5 KB · Views: 3
Thanks so much for posting these on your site. I see bitsavers has picked them up as well.

A couple of us over on AtariAge are working with XDS/22's, with TMS34010 and in my case TMS320C25 targets, and the XDS/22 manuals are extremely helpful. And there are a bunch working on TMS7000 projects, or TMS7K products like the CC40, or would like to.

Thanks again, guys.
jbdigriz

Fred, thank you very much for scanning the XDS documents.

I learned of the XDS/22 while browsing the TMS7000 Family Data Book. Jim pointed me at two XDS/22 34010 flavor and I have been reverse engineering that system. Hope to one day make a 34010 graphics card.

The XDS emulator card (any flavor) runs the monitor on an SE9996 CPU. Searching out that chip has been very satisfying. The XDS/22 was made with emulator cards for 9995, 7000, 34010, 320C25 and supposedly 99105.

If you are building a single board 7000, you might like to consider the TMS3556 video chip. It is a mostly-text processor with attractive graphics features. The chips were used together, for instance in Exelvision and teletext receivers.

If you are building a single board 7000
Thanks for the pointer, the TMS3556 looks like a neat chip and still available 2nd hand. Two boards are designed and ordered so far;
  • a CPU-memory board (RAM&ROM) with the serial port,
  • six 7-segment LED displays & 32 keys pcb.
The plan is to create a simple serial monitor for the base board and later extend it to support for the display/keyboard. It would look a lot like the board set of the MicroKit09 (https://electrickery.nl/comp/microKit09/).
There is an extension connector for other features, like a video-display card. A LCD matrix would look cool, but any direct CC-40/TI-74 compatibility might be too difficult and/or not worth the effort.
But boards are cheap to make, this is just a first prototype set.

I am just a hobbyist assembly programmer, with zero TMS7000 experience, so am not sure how far I will get. Using the Evaluation Module, I hope to get some monitor running. The XDS might even surface someday, that would be fun to document & try out too.

Greetings,
Fred Jan

Attachments

• TMS7000SBC_v1.0.kicad_sch.pdf
    222.9 KB · Views: 1
  • TMS7000IO_v1.0.kicad_sch.pdf
    125.8 KB · Views: 1
Hi
Some specific TMS7000 related documentation I am looking for but cannot find.

any technical data (data sheet, application note, design guide) on SPR000 (DIP40) and/or SFD2000 (PCB serial speech ROM to parallel EPROM)