• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba Notebook Computer Collection

darthfury78

Collecting vintage notebook computers was not a hobby that I thought possible. It began in 2015 when my Toshiba Satellite 115CS stopped working. As a result, I was searching for a similar model on ebay. Fast forward to 2018, I finally obtained an exact model(also has the original factory stickers on the palm rest). The 115CS was actually my 2nd notebook computer that I ever owned. My first notebook computer was the T2105CS that I got from BestBuy in 1995. That computer was stolen in Sept. 1996. As part of the insurance claim, I got the 115CS. I used it for the doing my homework, as well as spend countless hours on America Online and MSN. Those days came to an end in 2009 when we got high speed internet. I had put the computer away(in the original box) for 5 years until I wanted to play around with it. To my surprise, the computer screen was completely white. I opened the keyboard to find that the CMOS and backup battery had leaked corroding the motherboard. This was why I replaced the computer.

Along the way of finding the 115CS, I decided to replace the T2105CS with the T2105CT(I still have the original box that the T2105CS came with). What is rare about the T2105CS(when I first got it) was the leather case. I have not seen another on Ebay at all. Both computers I was able to replace in 2016. I thought that my collecting days were over. But I went ahead and got the Toshiba Satellite 4025cdt from ebay. The computer had its original shipper box and inserts. It also had its original CDs. When I received it, the inside box was missing its recovery disk, manuals, and Quick start sheet. I saw another ebayer had another 4020cdt(including the instructions booklet and Quick start sheet). I paid over $160 for the computer because I wanted the missing documents. Those two documents would bring everything(in the smaller box) to over 60% of the recovered paperwork. In the end, I was able to recover 98% of the original paperwork that the 4025cdt had that include the Windows 98 booklet and the Toshiba accessories magazine 1998. The paperwork was tough locating. But it makes the box feels special.

The journey has gone on for over 3 years. There is nothing else that's worth getting for my collection. I can honestly say that my collection is complete. Do you feel that at some point you begin to lose interest collecting computers once you have found the items needed for your collection?

> Do you feel that at some point you begin to lose interest collecting computers once you have found the items needed for your collection?

I haven't yet, but I think I will. I have very specific interests, organized by my own level of interest. I have my CoCo 3 and T200. If I never finish the rest of the collection, it's ok. If I do, It will be fun. Your interest is based on nostalgia, mine on "pseudonostalgia" - I didn't have a computer when I was a kid, but I wanted one, and it probably would have been a CoCo. It might have been one of several other inexpensive 8-bit classics, so I might - or might not - network some "terminals" to the CoCo. I have most of the main parts of what I want. It's just a matter of getting the little pieces now. The other computers? We'll see. My collection isn't as specifically defined as yours, but I do understand and agree with what you are saying.

I have never understood those who approach a computer hobby like a coin collection - if you don't have one, buy it! Some people have hundreds of computers, on a shelf, behind glass, or just in a box, 8-bit, 68000, old PCs, whatever. How do you enjoy a collection like that?

So I've had this problem also. It started with just pulling out some old computers I had from my childhood that were in storage, an Atari 800 and a 520STFM. Then I wanted a couple of my other systems from my childhood that I no longer had (C64, Apple II)... But then i'd see other systems that were of interest to me really cheap (like a TRS-80 Model 4 for $50) or, as well, a number of systems that were just given to me (a Kaypro, Osborne, Mac 512k, SX-64 and even my dad dumped his Amiga 3000 on me after i suggested he pull out the battery on it). You can't really turn stuff down, but your collection seems to just grow at a significant rate at some point. It's definitely a slippery slope. I've gotten better about passing up systems but I do feel guilty about it (or friends who collect make me feel guilty about leaving them behind). So, I somehow managed to collect a few things that now sit in my garage because I acquired them with other stuff that I was interested in or just were 'too good to pass up' (like the old 'hey, these things are flaky, I better buy this spare because I may never see it again').

I totally get where you're coming from for people that sit around eBay buying up old systems, I don't do that, leave those for others. But what if you just happen to keep running into interesting vintage systems. Do you just leave them behind to potentially wind up getting scrapped? In my case, I can't be bothered to buy things and resell them... I don't have the time or inclination... so what's the solution? I do give things away to my local friends who also collect, but then they give me stuff back so that doesn't really help (since we collect different things).

I am the type to want to display and use my systems, so I keep re-arranging things. It's getting harder all the time though. :)

> But what if you just happen to keep running into interesting vintage systems. Do you just leave them behind to potentially wind up getting scrapped?

Oh, what a terrible problem to have. I wish there were vintage systems just laying around here to pick up. What planet are you on, anyway? In your very rare case, I suggest working up enough ambition to put the stuff you don't want on the VCF marketplace. Many of us will appriceate it!:D

Oh, what a terrible problem to have. I wish there were vintage systems just laying around here to pick up. What planet are you on, anyway? In your very rare case, I suggest working up enough ambition to put the stuff you don't want on the VCF marketplace. Many of us will appriceate it!:D

Well, I don't think i ever said that there are systems here just lying around everywhere to be picked up... far from it. What I was saying is that I can't just pick up every system I see, just because it might be of interest to someone out there. And, no, it's not just ambition, it's time. Some folks do have full time jobs that have nothing to do with reselling vintage systems. The little free time I have is spent using or fixing the systems I have.

On a side note, there is actually a good amount of stuff out there depending on how ambitious YOU are. I have a friend who does a Craigslist ad looking for old equipment and he gets contacted quite often and drives all around the city going to check things out. Plus, there's estate sales and other things you can go to. Also drive around to garage sales and go to your local swap meets. I'm sure if you start doing that and actively looking for equipment, you'll run into lots of it and you can start putting it on here for folks with less free time then you have.

Do you feel that at some point you begin to lose interest collecting computers once you have found the items needed for your collection?

Yeah, probably, but there's always some other neat computer to discover. I'm less interested in Macs and Commodores than I used to be, but I'm enjoying the wide world of weird RISC systems, and I suppose if my wife isn't watching some medium size iron might sneak in (other than what's already here).

> ... it's not just ambition, it's time.

I understand, I don't have that much time either. I live in a small town, where if anyone had an old computer, they would probably try to smoke it or just throw it out in the yard. I was just hoping you'd put something I desperately need up for sale.

Back