• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba T3100 Problems

JohnTheMan

Hello VCFF Community.

I have recently come into possession of a Toshiba T3100, with orange gas plasma display. It has some issues and I want to get them fixed.

1. Vertical Lines on screen
The screen has several dozen vertical lines. I have no clue how to fix displays, especially gas plasma ones. I want to fix the one I have. Image of screen attached.

2. Error code A4, PIT Data Bus Error
The system does not boot, but instead spits out error code A4. The maintenance manual doesn't say how to fix it other than replacement. I'm sure this problem is fixable.

I hope to use this system one day, and I will replace any part necessary. But I need advice from those more experienced.

Attachments

• 20230509_174943.jpg
    20230509_174943.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
I'm starting to make progress on my own. I now understand that very few people are experienced with this machine, or display type.

The raw display comes out with some work. The first image shows the back of this display. (I have opened up the side parts. Required a heat gun to not risk damage.)
20230510_080643.jpg
All of the chips connect to each line. They are how data gets to the pixels. I discovered when I opened the sides that the very side chips many pins are corroded. Second image.
20230510_080936.jpg

I assume that these two problems are causing distress to the display. I need to remove the corrosion, and possibly reflow all of the solder joints.
For anyone else trying to fix their own problem, this requires a heat gun. Don't use a soldering iron or an oven. You will destroy the display.

I plan to use a heat gun to melt the solder and remove the corroded chips. Then remove the corrosion with a tooth brush. Then use a heat gun to get them back on.
[EDIT: I think a toothbrush would actually damage the pins by bending them. I need to dissolve the corrosion off. I see some reports of vinegar and Acetic Acid working.]

If anyone is curious about the heat gun I use, it is the YIHUA 8786D I 2 in 1 Hot Air Rework and Soldering Iron Station.
Unfortunately, this will only solve my display problem and not Error A4. Does anyone have advice for error A4? (PIT Data Bus Error).

Last edited:
2. Error code A4, PIT Data Bus Error
The system does not boot, but instead spits out error code A4. The maintenance manual doesn't say how to fix it other than replacement. I'm sure this problem is fixable.
Page 1-7 of the maintenance manual for the T3100 includes:

The System PCB houses;
- Programmable Interval Timer (PIT; i82C54 compatible)

Figure 1-4 on page 1-9 points out its location.

Maybe the PIT error will disappear after the 'corrosion' (possible at multiple places) has been removed.

Back