• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Transferring files to XT DOS 3.3 machine

Richard G

Experienced Member
Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this but here goes: -

I've recently acquired an IBM 5155 with two floppy drives and DOS 3.3. I'm eager to get something running on it.
How do I transfer files (or even better, folders) to one of the drives of my 5155 via the serial port?
I honestly thought that a few minutes googling would bring me the answer but no deal.

I suspect I'm missing a trick here :(

Thanks for any help!

@modem7: thanks for that - FastLynx 3.3 doesn't seem to allow com port values over 4 - as I'm using a USB to com adapter this doesn't work.

@Caluser2000: thanks but that seems to need DOS 6.22?

I'll try again with FastLynx later on a machine that has a real com port... :)

Appreciate the replies.

Last edited:
Shameless plug here, but if you have a USB to serial port on your modern computer, you can also try my own XMODEM serial port software (TRXCOM):

http://code.google.com/p/portable-serial-comms/

I actually do use my own software to transfer data using a serial line, if I'm missing an ethernet card or just got the hardware set up and don't have a packet driver.

On an IBM PC (and by extension XT), it will receive data reliably up to 19,200 baud. 115,200 baud is possible if I increase the buffer size. A PC will send at 115,200 baud.

IIRC, In device manager you can choose what the port shows up as.

Yes you can - thanks for reminding me about that! FastLynx still doesn't seem to do anything after choosing 'upload DOS slave' though other than prompting me to type some slave commands.

Hmmm... thought this would be a fairly easy task. Got all this sort of file transfer working on my TRS-80 4 within a few minutes with just an xmodem transfer!

I didn't see a download for any binaries; are they available?

Oops... actually that was on purpose, because since I last committed I did a significant rearranging of the source tree. I never committed a new version because it broke the build process and I had to focus on other things in life... the version online is the current stable version.

That said, here is the DOS and Windows binary... I just cloned my own git repository and built them.

Attachments

• TRXBIN.zip
    32.5 KB · Views: 7
Oops... actually that was on purpose, because since I last committed I did a significant rearranging of the source tree. I never committed a new version because it broke the build process and I had to focus on other things in life... the version online is the current stable version.

That said, here is the DOS and Windows binary... I just cloned my own git repository and built them.

Though I checked Dependency Walker, if the Windows version errors out with a gcc or MinGW-related error (and you don't have MinGW installed), let me know... I know exactly what happened if it did.

Hmmm... thought this would be a fairly easy task. Got all this sort of file transfer working on my TRS-80 4 within a few minutes with just an xmodem transfer!
Good for you! I guess the Model 4 had xmodem built in then, so you didn't have the issue of how to get it loaded in the first place?

Actually, it is a fairly easy task for most of us who do it regularly, depending on what the host system is/has (which you chose to not share with us...) ;-)

Good for you! I guess the Model 4 had xmodem built in then, so you didn't have the issue of how to get it loaded in the first place?

Actually, it is a fairly easy task for most of us who do it regularly, depending on what the host system is/has (which you chose to not share with us...) ;-)

Host system is XP or win7 if that helps?

Bah - forgot to state windows in my initial post as the host. Thanks Mike.

Last edited:
Well here's another old VCF thread that comfirms it is indeed possible. http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...m-to-Transfer-Files-from-Modern-Machine-to-PC

It's quite a common query that pops up every other month or so. No dought you'll get it sorted in the end.

Yes I'm sure.

Just to reiterate:

I'm running DOS 3.3 on the 5155 and XP/win7 on the host. I have serial cables and adapters.

I don't have interlnk.exe or Telix - just the DOS 3.3 disk. interlnk.exe etc are on the DOS 6 disk?

I need to transfer files files over a serial port as I don't have access to anything that can write 5.25" disks.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll try laplink next.

Last edited:
The tutorial I posted has a zip file with interlnk/interserv on it. You can transfer to the remote machine the files needed just like Fastlynx or LapLInk but because of the way XP works with virtual serial ports you'll need a special driver that captures the serial port if using straight Dos programs in NT based Windows. I forget the name of that program but Chuck(G) posted a link to it in another discussion about serial file transfers at one point.

Think I got the right.

Last edited:
The tutorial I posted has a zip file with interlnk/interserv on it. You can transfer to the remote machine the files needed just like Fastlynx or LapLInk but because of the way XP works with virtual serial ports you'll need a special driver that captures the serial port if using straight Dos programs in NT based Windows. I forget the name of that program but Chuck(G) posted a link to it in another discussion about serial file transfers at one point.

Thank you Caluser2000, I really appreciate your replies. I'll spend some time tomorrow on this (what are Sundays for?). I'm sure it's really easy to do what I'm
asking for but I'm still scratching my head.
I realise that I'm probably being lazy by asking this question and should spend time reading about the subject.

Back