• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trouble making Compaq setup disks for Compaq portable from Softpaq files.

Yes, but perhaps if the files are corrupt, you could try one of mine. And if I understand correctly you did try to install it on low density 5in floppy's?
Or did you succeed with that but the install on the actual Compaq goes wrong?

as i mentioned the files work. expand.. only when trying to make.a disk image does it say my machine is the wrong type.

@Trixter thanks I got the RAW file and wrote it out. Version 2.12. I guess there is no setup or cmos. I assume hard drives are configured via switches and debug the MFM controller like on a 5150.

Thank you for the file. With these I should have all I need for the portable 1 and 2

The original portable had no support for HDD, so the floppy may not have supported low level format.

I’d imagine the floppy with the portable plus would have had a utility. I think the first controller only supported one drive type, so there was probably no setup other than formatting it.

I’ve got a manual and disk for a deskpro that mentions hdd, so I need to see if I can image that. It wasn’t kept in a climate controlled environment so hopefully it’s good. I would expect it to work on portable with a hard drive too.

The original portable had no support for HDD, so the floppy may not have supported low level format.

I’d imagine the floppy with the portable plus would have had a utility. I think the first controller only supported one drive type, so there was probably no setup other than formatting it.

I’ve got a manual and disk for a deskpro that mentions hdd, so I need to see if I can image that. It wasn’t kept in a climate controlled environment so hopefully it’s good. I would expect it to work on portable with a hard drive too.
I have a 300mb MFM drive in one of my portable I's. I dont remember the details of how I set it up years ago.. But it can certainly take a hdd. I thought I remembered setting a Drive TYPE number somewhere.. But I cant honestly say.

Anyway the reason I want to make these floppies is to send to another board member who just bought his first compaq portable and to replace the ones I seem to have lost.

Disregard my FTP skills are rusty.

No, it was my fault; I added HTTP support to the server because modern browsers can't do FTP any more, and I had the wrong permissions set. It's fine now on HTTP.

I got the RAW file and wrote it out. Version 2.12. I guess there is no setup or cmos. I assume hard drives are configured via switches and debug the MFM controller like on a 5150.

Correct, there is no setup or CMOS. (There is, however, a cute demonstration of the system; type DEMO after booting the system with it. It's just a graphics slideshow in BASIC.)

Back