• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trouble with Tandy 3000

KLund1

Veteran Member
Hi All,
I got a Tandy 3000 12mhz, 640Mb version. Model 25-4002.
I boots but give errors. The old battery is dead so I get the usual configuration error.
But I also get a Drive 0 seek failure error.
I have connected a known good 360Kb 5.25" drive, with good 3.2 dos disk. Same error.
I remember that Tandy 1000's were not quite PC/XT compatible. Did that follow along to the 3000?
I see that the keyboard connector is the same 8-pin din from the 1000. I have connected a AT keyboard and it seems to work, but without the system able to boot, I am not sure.
The system next show No Boot Device Available, Insert boot disk and press F1. I press F1 and there is no floppy spin or LED, and the message immediately reappears. So the keyboard seems to work. NumLock led lights when I press that key.
Next the ST-250R HD was stuck so I removed the PCB and manually spun the drive and now it spins up good, and very quite, and no flashing LED.
I have reseated the all-in-one FD/HD controller card, and its socketed chips. No change.
Any suggestions or advice on how to proceed with further troubleshooting?
Thanks

Thanks!
Unfortunately the settings for an AT class system are set from a floppy disk program, not by pressing Del or an F key to get to a Bios screen. So I have to get dos booted first.

I have tried a known good 8-bit floppy card as the only card (besides video) and when the computer tries to boot it, the head goes to the center of the disk and make a terrible noise. This is after the NO boot Device error shows.
There are jumper settings here: (this is pdf download)

Looking at the FD/HD card listed, it is not the same as the one installed with this system.

Back