• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Troubleshooting a DEC Rainbow

animekenji

Experienced Member
I have an old Rainbow that has been sitting in my basement for a number of years. It worked when I got it but now won't power up. What would be the first thing to look at in these?

Really you start with the basics like patscc said. First step is checking your power source. See if it's working, is it giving you all the voltages you need. Then you start looking around the system for any obvious incorrect things like something being loose, dirty, etc. Reconnect anything you can since those metal connections can get humidity and build up over time and sometimes just pulling it out and putting it back in can be good enough to scrape off any residue that built up between the connection.

Check for leakage or bulging capacitors as well. What sort of doesn't power up does it do? Any noise, fans, beeps, etc?

Really you start with the basics like patscc said. First step is checking your power source. See if it's working, is it giving you all the voltages you need. Then you start looking around the system for any obvious incorrect things like something being loose, dirty, etc. Reconnect anything you can since those metal connections can get humidity and build up over time and sometimes just pulling it out and putting it back in can be good enough to scrape off any residue that built up between the connection.

Check for leakage or bulging capacitors as well. What sort of doesn't power up does it do? Any noise, fans, beeps, etc?

Doesn't power up at all. No lights, noises, nothing.

Back