• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Coco3 - Where can I find a floppy disk reader?

Lawgiver

Hello,

I have two tandy computers sitting at home. One is a Coco2 (TRS-80) and the other is a Coco3, both from radio-shack.

In my childhood memories, the coco2/3 came with a floppy disk reader that would plug itself into the cardrige port on the side of the computer.

On the Coco2 I used the command 'uti' to access the floppy disk. While on the coco3, I used things such as 'dskini' to format the disk.

Do any of you where I could get such a floppy disk reader ? I can't find it on ebay and I would love to re-read old programs I have written back then.

Thanks !

Robin

They can be found on eBay, although oftentimes either incomplete (missing drive or cartridge interface adapter) or with a whole system. I think you need to be searching more generically for "tandy color computer" or "trs-80 color computer", and typically the floppy disk "reader" is referred to as a floppy disk "drive". A few examples:

Drive but missing ribbon cable and controller cartridge - untested

Controller but missing drive and ribbon cable - unknown condition

White-box Color Computer 1 with drive, controller, and cable - unknown condition

Color Computer 3 with drive, controller, and cable and a bunch of other stuff - supposedly working

Not familiar with the uti command, but yeah, I remember dskini. I have some CoCos and home and grew up with a 2, only got a 3 in the last 15 years or so.

Back