• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 DT-1 Plus a raspberry Pi

sciencegirl100

Experienced Member
So, I recently saved a TRS-80 data terminal from being dumped at my college.
I plan to wire in a raspberry pi internally to turn it into a Linux machine (because it's just a "dumb terminal").
It *successfully* communicated through an Arduino UNO to my PC with PuTTY...
only some keys worked, and they never did the right thing.

Can anyone help with getting a raspberry pi wired up right, and what the proper serial settings are (baud rate, parity bit, etc.)?

Cool project. Fairly simple, non-destructive and creative. Love it!

You'll need to get the keys working first to be able to set up the proper RS-232 settings with the DT-1.

If I am not mistaken, the Pi's UART(s) operate at 3.3v CMOS levels, while the DT-1's operates at +/- 12V RS-232 levels. You'll need appropriate RS-232 transceivers to match the levels and avoid smoking the Pi. Here is an option:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11189

That board only has transceivers for the Tx and Rx lines. If you want to use hardware handshaking, then you can use additional boards, make your own level shifter using a part with more transceivers, etc.

You'll need an adapter for the PI. If you go to Amazon and search for: raspberry pi RS232
you'll see a lot of options for less than $10. On the pi you'll need to go to raspi-config

If I am not mistaken, the Pi's UART(s) operate at 3.3v CMOS levels, while the DT-1's operates at +/- 12V RS-232 levels. You'll need appropriate RS-232 transceivers to match the levels and avoid smoking the Pi. Here is an option:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11189

That board only has transceivers for the Tx and Rx lines. If you want to use hardware handshaking, then you can use additional boards, make your own level shifter using a part with more transceivers, etc.

Are you sure about that? It seems to have 2 drivers and 2 receivers, which should mean you can wire up flow control as well. eg. RTS and CTS. RS-232 always does my head in with the confusion around signal names.

Are you sure about that? It seems to have 2 drivers and 2 receivers, which should mean you can wire up flow control as well. eg. RTS and CTS. RS-232 always does my head in with the confusion around signal names.

You are right, and I was mistaken. Yay!

Back