• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Model 3 Floppy Disk Cable options?

Gribnitz

Experienced Member
The ribbon cable on my TRS-80 Model 3 is in bad shape. Are there any other better made, more rugged cables I can use in it's place? Where can I buy one?

Thanks!

Gribnitz

Experienced Member
Yes. It goes from the FDD controller card over the top of the motherboard and plugs into the motherboard.

dabone

Veteran Member
I ended up removing the connectors on the boards, installing pin headers, and using a ide cable. (It's single row pins, so just one half of the cable.)

The white cable and connectors are complete crap.

Later,
dabone

Gribnitz

Experienced Member
I ended up removing the connectors on the boards, installing pin headers, and using a ide cable. (It's single row pins, so just one half of the cable.)

The white cable and connectors are complete crap.

Later,
dabone

Good idea. Is there a special pinout or are all of the pins used? It look like some of the pins were bent back, but I can't tell if it's because it is cheap, or they are bent back because they aren't used.

SomeGuy

Veteran Member
That kind of cable is called "flexible flat cable" (FFC). And as I recall, those used a conductor spacing or "pitch" of 0.10 inches or 2.54mm. Unfortunately most of the new stuff out there uses a smaller, metric pitch.

They fall apart quickly because they just aren't designed to be inserted and removed more than a few times.

ldkraemer

Veteran Member
I wonder if these Flat Flex Cables would work from Digikey?
TYCO ELECTRONICS:
20 Conductor - 6" - Solder tab pin - A9AAT-2006F-ND
20 Conductor - 8" - Solder tab pin - A9AAT-2008F-ND

Roll them around a Wooden Pencil for Insertion & Removal, and they last a lot longer.

Larry