• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS 80 Model 4 Should I buy?

abruno17

Experienced Member
This listing says there is a problem with the monitor. I contacted the seller, he tried the contrast knobs but he still couldn’t get anything on the screen. Is this an easy fix? Or should I stay away?

If you power up the Model 4 with no diskette inserted, or just press the RESET button with no diskette, it won't display anything. If you hold the BREAK key while doing a RESET, it should start up BASIC and you'll see text on the screen. You could ask the seller to try it.

If you power up the Model 4 with no diskette inserted, or just press the RESET button with no diskette, it won't display anything. If you hold the BREAK key while doing a RESET, it should start up BASIC and you'll see text on the screen. You could ask the seller to try it.
He tried that the screen is bright and completely green.

The description says when he turns it on it seeks from the floppy. That's a good sign. The tube is good too. Some contact cleaner may fix the screen control knobs(don't tell him that!). Its very dirty so the drives will need cleaning/alignment. No keys are missing either. It's probably an easy restore. I would buy it if I didn't already have a Model 4 as long as the price was right. From his other auctions, he's not a computer flipper so he probably doesn't know much about these machines and its unlikely he's trying to hide more serious issues.

Back