• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Model 4 Terminal Emulator

irishmike

Experienced Member
Greetings:

I finally found a working TRS-80 Model 4! I bought it last night off CraigsList locally.

There a few things I need to acquire for it and eBay so far has been a dead end. I have not yet gone to Abe's Books to look for books, but that is a possible stop in the very near future!

Right now the big thing that is evading me is Terminal Software. I would like to find a good emulator for ANSI-BBS or at least VT-100 with Xmodem and Zmodem protocols. I am not sure if Zmodem was ever available on this platform, however. Anyhow, if someone can point me in a direction for what would be the best Terminal emulator (I will probably be using null modem) for the Model 4, or if you have software-- please PM me. I have heard of STERM which seems to be the one I would want, but I am open to suggestions.

If you have the physical software, please include what you would need in compensation for it.

BTW: Interested in the owners manual too. If someone has a PDF of it or can make one, please advise.

Thank-you,

Mike Needham
Lawrence, Kansas

A bunch of goodies can be found at:
ftp.catcorner.org/pub/Tandy-Model4/

Disk-Images is an archive of disks from 2005. If you can find the name of a terminal emulator you can probably find it here. There are .htm index files scattered throughout linking file names to descriptions.

Manuals are some of the manuals. I will add more and re-post.
FTii is FastTerm
Pterm is another terminal emulator
/pub/Tandy-Model4/Disk-Images/S/lynxterm is a patched copy of STERM. From the doc:

STERM VERSION 1.6L
A PATCHED STERM/CMD PROGRAM FOR USE WITH LYNX MODEMS
PATCHES BY FRED TAYLOR

***** FOR FULL DOCUMENTATION SEE 'STERMDOC' *****
ALL COMMANDS EXCEPT REENTRY WITH 'PROGNAME *' APPLY
TO THIS VERSION
2 COMMANDS HAVE BEEN ADDED FOR LYNX:
KEY DESCRIPTION
---------------------------------------------------------------
# OR 3 DIAL A NUMBER. ENTER THE NUMBER TO DIAL
(UP TO 15 DIGITS)
$ OR 4 LYNX ON/OFF. ALLOWS THE LYNX TO BE TURNED ON
(OFF HOOK CONDITION) OR OFF (ON HOOK CONDITION).
SHOULD TOGGLE THE POWER LIGHT FROM RED (OFF) TO
GREEN (ON) AND VISA-VERSA.

Last edited:
I am still wanting to find STERM untouched though, kb2syd's link was very helpful.

Still could use a little mentoring on the new system, it has been like since 1982 since I touched a real TRS-80 and that would have meant it was not probably even a model III. I do like the Z80 processor though and I am actually trying to decide if the modem that came with the unit is something I want to play with or not. It is cool because it is the 300 baud acoustic couple modem (Radio Shack Telephone Interface II, cat # 26-1171). I need to find the power adapter for it and of course I think a 25 pin straight through Serial cable would work?

Don't really have that kind of telephone for the cups, but then again, it is a cool piece of history!

Anyhow, hope someone can help out a bunch. Also: Where is a good place to get blank diskettes for this machine and what are the actual capaciies... I assume DSDD 5 1/4.

Thanks for all the help and such in advance. I hope to have a lot of fun with this box.

Mike

Back