• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Model I running machine language tapes

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
It's been so long since I used my TRS-80 in Cassette mode that I forgot how to run a machine language tape. Or should it do it automatically? I know the command is: SYSTEM then get the *? prompt then put in filename.

I Watch astericks on screen blink and then they stop blinking and stay on all the time and the tape keeps running. Maybe a bad recording? It was a .CAS file I downloaded from Tez's site. What am I doing wrong?

I am using Knutt's Play CAS and send to mic jack on the recorder to make a tape. But does not work when hooke to PC either.

Help

Your method of loading a system tape is ok. The asterixes are suppose to stop blinking and another "*" appear. They you type "/" and press return to start.

The CAS files on the site should be ok. Which one have you tried?

It's most likely the sound level is not right whan playing the WAV. The TRS-80 can be quite sensitive to the right level. I would try it until it successfully loads going direct from the SPEAKER port of the sound card to the input of the TRS-80 before I'd try recoding it on tape. Putting it on tape first adds another layer and another chance at some degredation of the square wave. Don't use MIC, use AUX instead for recording.

Knut's conversion program should work, although I can't remember ever trying it. Another (more roundout way) is to put it through Matt Reed's TRS32 emulator. This will read in cas files and can output them as wav files (this one I definitely have tried). Of course with machine language programs you have to use a m/l monitor to first load them into memory and back out again. It's a bit of messing around but you could try that. However, if you load in the CAS file in to the emulator in the usual way as you would to run a program at least you can verify the CAS is ok.

My theory is the sound levels aren't right though.

Tez

I tried Meteor Mission. The thing is I never get the 3rd "*". Also the / is that with or without the quotes? I will have to try the AUX connector next time to see if it helps. You are right about volume levels. Very picky.

I tried Meteor Mission. The thing is I never get the 3rd "*". Also the / is that with or without the quotes? I will have to try the AUX connector next time to see if it helps. You are right about volume levels. Very picky.

Hi Frank,

The third "*"? You mean the second "*" on the command prompt when the program stops loading? Yes, that's to indicate a load has finished. It doesn't mean it was successful though, just that the computer feels the job is finished.

Type the "/" without the quotes.

Some TRS-80 driving lesson to those for whom it's been a while (or those new to the machines) can be found on my System 80 website here:
http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/system-80/driving_instructions.htm

Note that the System 80's <New Line>= the TRS-80's <Return>

Hope this helps

Tez

Ok Tez, Got it. The 2nd Asterick blinks and after about 3:16s (program length) they stop blinking at what I guess is the end of program load. But it is still running the tape and never goes back to the prompt. I have to reset to get it out of load mode. I hope i'm not confussing you.

Ok Tez, Got it. The 2nd Asterick blinks and after about 3:16s (program length) they stop blinking at what I guess is the end of program load. But it is still running the tape and never goes back to the prompt. I have to reset to get it out of load mode. I hope i'm not confussing you.

Yes, what this means is the load has failed. Somewhere in the load sequence (probably when the asterixs stop blinking) the computer can't read the data. However for some reason it's hasn't triggered an "end of data message" so there is no second "*" prompt generated. Essentially the computer is "hung".

Tez

Yeah kind of what I figured. I'll keep beating my head against until I get a Migraine or the TRS-80 finally loads m/l suceesfully. BTW Basic tapes work fine.

Yea, keep at it Frank. You'll get there in the end. Sounds like you're ALMOST getting there if you get some blinking asterikes. At least it recognises the file up to where the blinking stops.

I just verified that Meteor Misson CAS in Matthew Reeds TRS32 emulator (Model 1, 16k). It works fine so the CAS is ok. I noticed that I mention Knut's CAS-->WAV program on the cass software site so I must have used it successfully at one time. I usually don't recommend things unless I've actually proved to myself that they work.

Good luck

Tez

Frank, FWIW, if you can run the .CAS->.WAV convertor, I can "play" them from the SD card in my Edirol recorder directly into your TRS-80, virtually eliminating any noise that your sound card might be generating (the recorder is shielded and produces virtually no noise in and of itself, so any "junk" would most likely come from the audio cable itself)

Frank,

What kind of sound card are you using? I've found the el chepo built in "soundcard on motherboard" type ones common on laptops just don't have the volume required for emulating tape audio output...even on full volume! They are just too quiet for the TRS-80.

Tez

Back