• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Model II "Service Manual" (not Tech Ref Manual)?

Scott Kevill

Experienced Member
The introduction of the Model 16 Service Manual has this snippet:
This manual will provide information primarily on the 68000
side of the Model 16. For Z-80 information that has not been
included, refer to the Model II Techncial Reference Manual
or the Model II Service Manual.

Did this ever exist? I've only ever seen the Technical Reference Manual.

Though I can't swear to it, I would tend to believe that it would exist.
Just a logical conclusion as I have seen Service Manuals for most other TRS-80 platforms.
Just paid a pretty penny for the model 4 manual.

If I remember right, I read that when they transitioned to the 68000 cpu, they used the onboard z80 as either a graphics buffer manager, or some kind of buffer manager.

Hopefully somebody who knows for sure will respond.

Good Luck! B)

Thanks. Guess I was just wondering if the Service Manual had any additional information not already in the Technical Reference Manual.

Unfortunately, Ira's site tends to be rather useless since he locked it down and now just lists "covers" of manuals. It's a pity given how many people sent him items to explicitly make available for everyone. Items that are no longer available anywhere else and may not be found again.

Unfortunately, Ira's site tends to be rather useless since he locked it down and now just lists "covers" of manuals. It's a pity given how many people sent him items to explicitly make available for everyone. Items that are no longer available anywhere else and may not be found again.

Ira is probably just protecting himself on copyright issues, and I don't blame him.
If there's something you need and can't find anywhere else, you might try an email directly to Ira asking if he'd make it available to you privately.
You'll may very well find, that he will. ;)

Yes, of course it existed. There was a service manual for every computer and peripheral that Tandy made. What do you think we used in the Computer Repair Depots? Incantations?

Based on how some of my "repairs" returned in the mid 80's, I'd say incantations were all they had here in New Jersey.

Well, if it was in the early 80's, then the reason was probably because they were letting the Consumer Electronics Repair Depots handle the computer products while they scrambled to find qualified techs to staff the 05 depots.

I know that, when I was hired to manage the Computer Services Depot in Hamilton, I hadn't even finished unpacking my assets and inventory when I got about 60 pieces of equipment from the Consumer Repair in Burlington.

It took me longer to repair their "repairs" than it did to correct the initial failure that they came in with.

Back