• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Model III

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
I have a rather dumb question to ask! Can the Model III directly boot Model 1 floppy disks? I'm under the impression it can't but wanted to be sure. :confused:

Frank
It's easier to make a boot disk for a model III from an IBM system than for a Model 1, but I don't remember why exactly. I know that there's a good explanation out there, probably on Ira Goldklang's web site. I wonder what he has been up to, have not heard much about that site in years.
Bill

Frank
It's easier to make a boot disk for a model III from an IBM system than for a Model 1, but I don't remember why exactly.

I think it's because many Model 1 systems are single density. PC disk controllers have a hard time writing single density. Model III disk are ok because they are double density.

The MODEL-III will only boot Double Density Disks.

There was a loader for Games that would boot on both Model-I and Model-III.

This formatter for the loader "Brandon Loader", if I remember correctly, formatted Track-0, with both Single and Double density sectors, to allow the disk to boot on Both systems.

I have seen a few games that claim to be Dual booters. Other than those few I guess nothing else is going to do it. As for Ira he sent me some disks a couple of weeks back so he is still around. (slightly off topic)

Back