• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Ribbon Cables

orlandoave

Experienced Member
I'm not sure why it is so difficult to find replacement flat ribbon cables
to replace those in the Model III and Model IV. The cables I am speaking of
the ones for the floppy controller to the motherboard and the RS232
board to the motherboard. I've sent Mouser photos and they were no help.

I appreciate our gentleman from Australia selling me four of them, but I cannot afford
to buy eight more from him. I am looking for a US distributor that I can get them
for less money and faster.

Anyone faced the same thing and found a solution?

Thanks and my respects to our wonderful gentleman in Australia.

I'm not sure why it is so difficult to find replacement flat ribbon cables
to replace those in the Model III and Model IV. The cables I am speaking of
the ones for the floppy controller to the motherboard and the RS232
board to the motherboard. I've sent Mouser photos and they were no help.

I appreciate our gentleman from Australia selling me four of them, but I cannot afford
to buy eight more from him. I am looking for a US distributor that I can get them
for less money and faster.

Anyone faced the same thing and found a solution?

Thanks and my respects to our wonderful gentleman in Australia.

Send me a PM with photos of the connectors --- I am almost sure of your needs and I have them in stock --- better pricing because I am in the US

Jay

Cables

Cables

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg005.jpg

Mouse does make a cable that is different in the type of end connectors (refer to photos) ... the cable in the photos came from Mouse PN A9AAT-2006F-ND "20" FOR # PINS AND "06" FOR 6 INCH LENGTH.
THESE CABLES WORK BUT THEY REQUIRE PRECISION INSERTION INTO THE CONNECTORS ON THE BOARDS. THE BLACK CONNECTORS ARE HARDER THAN THE WHITE ONES. THE 6" VERSION IS A LITTLE TO LONG AND NEEDS CONSIDERABLE BENDING - WHICH CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH THE CABLES STAYING ON. I MAY TRY THE 4 OR 5" LENGTH CABLE TO SEE HOW THEY WORK.

I HAVE DONE EXTENSIVE RESEARCH INTO FINDING THIS CABLE THAT RS USE TO USE AND 99% OF THE TIME I FAIL.

I have them back in stock now, custom made to original specs. In a form called the Model III white cable renew kit, replaces all 4 white cables in a Model III for a perfectly reliable computer. Model 4 owners can also use the FDC and RS232 white cables.

DSCF8759.jpg

Cheers,

Ian.

Ian Mavric also has an article in the TRSBIT news letters about the conversion.

Requires soldering and de-soldering -- but it you can do it then it is the best solution of all.

I now understand that Ian has these cables back in stock

Ian Mavric also has an article in the TRSBIT news letters about the conversion. Requires soldering and de-soldering -- but it you can do it then it is the best solution of all. I now understand that Ian has these cables back in stock

I saw that and that is quite clever and come to think of it does update the system nicely, actually considering trying it on my model 3/4 while I am redoing it all from scratch.

on being difficult to source off the shelf... as i recall these were custom parts made to exact length and pre-folded appropriately... we called them "spectra-strips," but i see now that many insulated type ribbon cables, such as floppy cables and the like, can also be called spectra-strips depending upon the vendor. as long as these strips weren't messed with too much they were reliable. problems stemmed from being pulled and re-inserted hurriedly, or too many times. the ends would bend or crimp and then it was time for a replacement. once bent it was just about impossible to get them to work reliably again.

Ian's replacement strips are the way to go if you want something near "stock."

the strip in the model I was the most trouble-prone as i'm sure everyone knows. i found this out the hard way before i went to work for RS with my own model I... i sent it in for upgrade to Level II and when it came back every line on the display was repeated. Sent it back and when it was returned it had the same problem! went a third time--same story, and then finally repaired on the fourth try. turns out it worked fine when the logic board and keyboard were out of the case and laying flat on the bench. the tech didn't test it back in the case. word to the wise there... later on i replaced it in my unit with regular ribbon cable.

Back