• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS Pocket PC-2 battery question: Lithium AAs good for extra long memory retention?

Questor

Hi all,

I was considering using Lithium AA batteries instead of regular alkalines in my TRS Pocket PC-2 in order to preserve the memory for extended periods when the device is not in use. I used to alkalines and they worked for a very long time, and looking back I was lucky enough to never have an issue with battery leak in the device (even when stored in a drawer for over a year at a clip). However, I don't want to push my luck so I thought that perhaps Lithium AAs would last longer and be less likely to leak.

While I have read that lithiums hold a charge for upto 10 years, I was unsure if that would be the case with a slow drain device like the Tandy. Anyone know how long I could expect a set of lithiums to last in a PC-2 when stored?

Also, although I had never heard of the lithium batteries leaking, I was wondering if AA lithiums could still potentially leak over time?

Thanks,
Q

The only issues I've seen have been with some devices not being happy with the lower voltage rating of some batteries (rechargables do this frequently in devices like digital cameras where the voltage is low to begin with and the camera will detect this and turn itself off). The trs-80 most likely won't care as long as it has enough to run.

I'm not familiar enough with the chemistry behind the different batteries to know why certain things heat up, leak, or what damages they cause but looking on some other sites I see comments that lithium batteries have a different liquid in them which isn't corrosive and that they in theory can operate under a larger temperature range without bulging and leaking. I think it would be a sensible assumption that yes they'll leak over time despite whatever hype they may have. It may not be as destructive though which could be good.

Back