• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS80 Model II - FREE if you pickup from Phoenix AZ

k0d3g3ar

Experienced Member
I have a TRS-80 Model II with external dual 8" disk drive unit in my collection, but I have been unable to get it to power up. I'm not sure what the problem is, but the sheer size of this unit is taking up too much space so I need to get rid of it.

If anyone wants to pick it up from me, you can have it. I'm not interested in shipping it as I haven't the time to package, organize shipping, etc. so its only available for local pickup. I'll keep it for a few more months, but otherwise I have to dump it. So if you want to help preserve a bit of history and are in Arizona, its yours - you'd be doing me a favor by picking it up and it would clear up some valuable storage space for me.

Contact me through here to organize if you want it.

Thanks
Myles

I would be interested in getting this from you. I literally had just started to work on a Model II emulator and the hardware is exactly what I need to verify / work on this project! I live in Riverside, CA which oddly enough is right straight west from you on the 10.

I just need to coordinate time to make a 5 hour trip there.

I would be interested in any software you have for it that you may be willing to part with also.

You can contact me via email:
ken@kdcorp.us

Thanks,
Ken

You took it Lorne?

I've always wondered about these? Big heavy beasts I imagine. How do they compare in size to, say a Lisa. About the same?

Tez

How do they compare in size to, say a Lisa. About the same?

I haven't seen a Lisa for a while, but they didn't have a Model II for sale at the local Weirdstuff a few months ago. I'd say height and width are about identical, but the II is substantially deeper. The full-height eight inch disk drive is of course most of the reason for that. (It's sort of stunning to be reminded of just how huge those were.)

You took it Lorne?

I've always wondered about these? Big heavy beasts I imagine. How do they compare in size to, say a Lisa. About the same?

Tez

Yep, I took it, and box of original manuals and disks as well.
I followed the guys instructions, and contacted him through the VCF (instead of supplying my email address, and asking him to hunt me down to give me something for nothing - pet peeve of mine; I'm not going to chase anyone to try to give them something).

I got it home, blew the dust bunnies out of it, and found it had been jarred at some point, so all the cards were loose. I reseated them, turned it on, and got a "Diskette ?" prompt. Seems OK to me. (I'm still working on getting/making the disk).

The 3 bay expansion system didn't do anything because one of the panel mount fuse holders had snapped in half. I replaced that and the drive spins up fine. Again, just need to make that disk image.

I don't know how big a Lisa is, but these things are massive.
The Model II is 21 x 16 x 14 (not incl the keyboard), and the Disk System is 21 x 19 x 11.

It's so big in fact that I need to make room for it (just like he did), so I've got a 5151 I'm going to drop off at the donors place.
He has a 5153 but really wants a monochrome green monitor.
A good trade I figured.
What goes around, comes around.

Lorne,

Congrats on the II. Sounds like a good trade. Thought about jump'in the truck and driving like mad for 20 hrs. one way to snag it but thought nah, that'd be crazy:D
Picked up a tragic 80 mdl 4 just to stay entertained while waiting for the Televideo keyboard. Good luck with the boot disk.

Tom

One thing you might want to know, Lorne, is that you have to power on the expansion drive box first and then the Model II, or the computer usually won't boot from the diskette.

Back