• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Truevision RasterOps ColorImpact 100

jamnar

I've discovered a Truevision RasterOps ColorImpact 100 video card in a 486 I had lying around. It's 16 Bit ISA bus and has what looks like a 72pin SIMM slot on it. I haven't been able to find any drivers for it. Pinnacle Micro which bought RasterOps doesn't appear to support this card any longer in any way (they don't even acknowledge its existence).

Anyone here have any info or maybe drivers or something?

I found this on the web:

"Rasterops' New Graphics Cards, Bundles For PCs 06/17/94 SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A., 1994 JUN 17 (NB) -- Rasterops and its subsidiary Truevision announced new graphics accelerator cards for the IBM-compatible personal computer (PC) market as well as a new 17-inch multi-frequency monitor. The companies are hoping the aggressive pricing of the new products will make a big splash in the PC market.

For $999 PC users can get the 17-inch PC Color Productivity Graphics Display Bundle which includes the 1 megabyte (MB) dynamic random access memory (DRAM), Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) version of the Truevision Colorimpact 100 graphics card with the Rasterops Clearvuecolor monitor. The card supports 16.7 million colors at 640 by 480 picture element (pixel) resolution.

A bundle including the 17-inch Rasterops monitor and the 2 MB video random access memory (VRAM), video local bus (VLB) version of the Truevision Colorimpact Pro 1000 graphics card retails for $1,299. The extra memory allows this graphics card to support 16.7 million colors at a resolution of 800 by 600 or 65,000 colors at the higher resolution of 1024 by 768 pixels.

Both of the Truevision graphics cards incorporate 64-bit graphics chips from Cirrus Logic and Weitek and provide 24-bit, 16.7 million color support. The graphics cards are also available in a configuration aimed at the Intel Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) standard as well as ISA and VLB versions. One MB of memory can be added to the Colorimpact 100 graphics card for a total of 2 MB using industry-standard dynamic random access memory (DRAM) single in-line memory modules (SIMMs). An additional 2 MB of memory may be added to the Colorimpact Pro 1000 card for a total of 4 MB, but the card uses video random access memory (VRAM) double in-line memory modules (DIMMs)."

The combination of Cirrus Logic and Weitek remind me of the Diamond Viper VLB cards which had a Weitek Power 9000 for Windows accelkeration and some cheap 2D chip for DOS modes.

Cirrus Logic
CL-GD5434-HC-C
29214-311AJ
9427 J
Korea-B

There should be generic drivers for the Cirrus Logic chip on the net, but that won't do anything for the 2nd chip. Can you post a picture of the card?

Truevision RasterOps ColorImpact 100 photo link

Truevision RasterOps ColorImpact 100 photo link

Thanks! That's some good info.
Here's a photo of the card.
colorimpact100.jpg

Ok, it looks like you have either a weitek or Cirrus Logic chip but not both. Standard generic Cirrus Logic drivers should work for that card. Not sure what would fit in that SIMM socket.

Back