• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trying to fix an Hantarex POLO 20"

GilesGoat

Experienced Member
Hi,

ok I do have an Hantarex POLO 20 monitor, that up to some time ago it was working pretty well.

Then .. I think what happened we had some "serious power glitch" .. the monitor started to behave quite oddly until it got the point of "no image".

For quite some time I left it there, now I am trying to have a look into it.

When you power it up, after a couple of seconds or so it seems to be starting alive, there's quite a "scary" kind of noise that seems to come from the EHT transformer or such, after a while it stabilizes into a more or less steady 15Khz or so pitch.

I did look around ( carefully ) can't see really any sign of discharge or such, filaments seems to be on but the tube displays no picture ( all blank ).

I have that "remote control board" and I did try to use the jumper in the position "test video" that supposedly should generate some bars (?) but nothing happens.

I am thinking in using some computer to try to give it a composite video in.

I have the electric diagram and all the manual with various testpoints and waveforms .. but seems quite tricky because someway I'd first need to take out the main board and have access to it, as it is the assembly makes it impossible to do any measure.

I suspect that maybes something in the PSU part went off, that "serious power glitch" ( thank (*%&*($&#(*# you Welsh Power ) consisted in power literally going on/off/on/off/on/off about 8 .. 10 times in the space of 20 seconds ..

It already costed 300 pounds in repair of a plasma TV box that got fried, two PCs psus that needed replacement and I suspect the POLO suffered some of it as well.

So while I'll try to very carefully take out the main PCB any "suggestions" about what I could begin to look for after "a strange sounding ETH" or such would be appreciated.

Back